Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is starting her 6th year on oboe. She is with a PT and learning how to make her own reeds. Until she gets comfortable scraping, she would like to know where she can get handmade reeds that are CONSISTANT and affordable. We have tried 4 different makers. Three were crap, and the other is no longer in business.
Suggestions for factory reeds are welcome.
She's VERY PICKY. Jones, and Fox reeds are not at the top of her 'acceptable' list.

If it helps, she's playing a Bulgheroni Student model.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
My Sister plays Oboe, and she uses the private lessons teachers handmade reeds. She may do her own reeds now, I can't remember. Does the PT make reeds?

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DUH!
That's who is teaching her how to make reeds.
The PT is a College student and doesn't make enough to sell to students.

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's late Dude, No Prob.
My daughter is laughing at you 'cuz she thinks I scared you.
She's 16, and VERY mean. Just like her Mommy:D

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Its ok, I'm 17 and just plain tired ;).
I don't know how long she has been playing. But listening to my Sister it doesn't sound like mass produced reeds are the way to go. I don't play Oboe, so I am not the best person to be talking about this. But, I am guessing that their are other people in your area that make their own reeds. If their is one oboe player their is more.

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 46!! Talk about tired. Besides, isn't it past your bedtime?

We're going to ask the PT about other students/teachers at GVSU that may be willing to sell a few reeds. But lessons won't start back up until October.
Just was curious as to who other oboists would recomend.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Bassooner or later you'll get these oboe reeds- haha :)

bandmommy said:
My daughter is starting her 6th year on oboe. She is with a PT and learning how to make her own reeds. Until she gets comfortable scraping, she would like to know where she can get handmade reeds that are CONSISTANT and affordable. We have tried 4 different makers. Three were crap, and the other is no longer in business.
Suggestions for factory reeds are welcome.
She's VERY PICKY. Jones, and Fox reeds are not at the top of her 'acceptable' list.

If it helps, she's playing a Bulgheroni Student model.
Here's a few great reed reed people ;

BRIAN CHARLES, A old friend from NYC. Brian was " the reed man" at the legendary PONTE MUSIC on 46th in NYC in THE DAY. One of the modern day masters of double reed making.

Read this; it will tell you a lot;http://www.charlesmusic.com/cgi-bin/theo?action=display_page&page=about_us

Reach him now @ 1-800-reed-tip
Brian is world class- you'll love him. He's on the web at ;http://www.charlesmusic.com/

There's a very good source at HALL DOUBLE REED as well. Andrea Hall sells through Ebay- and is a stellar reed maker. VERY GOOD.
http://stores.ebay.com/Hall-Double-Reed

Also- if you do not have them- these books will open some reed making doors along with plenty of TYLENOL 500...ha:shock: ;) ha. ( just kidding on the tylenol 500 !! haha ):)

Oboe Reed Styles:
Theory and Practice
by David A. Ledet

The Reed Maker's Manual: Step-By-Step Instructions for Making Oboe and English Horn Reeds (Spiral-bound)
by David B. Weber, Ferald B. Capps , Vendla K. Weber.

FWIW- A Bulgheroni Student model oboe is excellent. I have students through the years that have used these oboes and they are really great.
Those oboes remind me of the classic oboes I love by GORDET oboes which are a darker sound than some of the other brands. FWIW- One of my heros was Harold Gomberg from the NY PHIL. If your daughter really wants to hear one of the very best players in the world she should seek out CDs of Mr Harold Gomberg.
Read about him here ;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Gomberg

Gomberg WAS the master of the NY PHIL. - A must for a young stuent to hear if they are into oboe!
Hearing him play the oboe changed my playing and oboe direction.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
bandmommy said:
I'm 46!! Talk about tired. Besides, isn't it past your bedtime?

We're going to ask the PT about other students/teachers at GVSU that may be willing to sell a few reeds. But lessons won't start back up until October.
Just was curious as to who other oboists would recomend.
No, I don't really have a bed time. I go to bed when I am tired. Though sometimes it bites me in the butt, when I have to wake up at 6 O'Clock in the morning for my early class.
Live and learn right?
Anyway looks like you found the answer to your question. Best of luck to your daughter with Oboe and stuff. How long has she been playing?

~Carbs

·
6,260 Posts
Tim Price said:
Here's a few great reed reed people ;

BRIAN CHARLES, A old friend from NYC. Brian was " the reed man" at the legendary PONTE MUSIC on 46th in NYC in THE DAY. One of the modern day masters of double reed making.

Read this; it will tell you a lot;http://www.charlesmusic.com/cgi-bin/theo?action=display_page&page=about_us

Reach him now @ 1-800-reed-tip
Brian is world class- you'll love him. He's on the web at ;http://www.charlesmusic.com/

There's a very good source at HALL DOUBLE REED as well. Andrea Hall sells through Ebay- and is a stellar reed maker. VERY GOOD.
http://stores.ebay.com/Hall-Double-Reed

BY THE WAY - BOTH THESE SHOPS ARE FAST SERVICE - :)

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tim.

Weve tried Andrea Halls' reeds already. Amelia didn't like them AT ALL. She ordered one in med. and one in med. hard. They weren't CRAP, but I was told not to order any more. Playable, but very unresponsive.
Like I said before, Amelia is VERY PICKY about how her reeds are to play.

Brian also sells on ebay. I asked if his reeds were hand made and was told they are only hand 'finished' But they may be worth a try.

·
6,260 Posts
One more step -

bandmommy said:
Thanks Tim.

Weve tried Andrea Halls' reeds already. Amelia didn't like them AT ALL. She ordered one in med. and one in med. hard. They weren't CRAP, but I was told not to order any more. Playable, but very unresponsive.
Like I said before, Amelia is VERY PICKY about how her reeds are to play.

Brian also sells on ebay. I asked if his reeds were hand made and was told they are only hand 'finished' But they may be worth a try.

Thanks- Lets take it a step further too. Ok. Ask for Brian on the 800 number- tell him you spoke to me. Tell him what she wants and what does not hit for her. GET HER TO WRITE IT DOWN- :)
I bet he can get something going; he's very cool and knows the art of reeds.

Share my specs with her. They are this ; ;

SHAPER;
RDG #-2 Medium Shape – Good for #2 Staple or #3 staple
RDG #2 Larger Shape – Good for #4 Staple or larger fit on #3 staple

Spec's;

10-10.5mm Cane
Cane density between 12-16
RDG -2 Shape
47 mm silver or brass staple #2 style
10.5mm scrape
72-72.5mm length
– Tie off length of 74mm

THEY MIGHT HELP HER!?! My stuff has a dark resistance but projects because I need that as a doubler etc.

ALSO- YOU NEED TO TRY ; RDG WOODWINDS IN L.A...they carry some
handmade Euro reeds that are very nice. Contact below ;

http://www.rdgwoodwinds.com/

http://www.rdgwoodwinds.com/index.php?cPath=1_28_60

Robert Gilbert double reeds in L.A is a icon in the biz. One of my best friends was the repair lady there for 5 years. And now is in NYC - she is stellar and world class at under 30! In any case she showed me some recent RDG Oboe reeds that were really IMPRESSIVE. Check it.

Hope this helps.:)

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!!!!!!!

I have gotten a few of her beginning supplies through RDG.
She has only gotten as far as wrapping and tying. This year she goes on to scraping. All of this has been on pre-gouged and shaped cane and on staples she has harvested from blown out/unsuitable factory reeds (Lescher, Fox, Jones) and crappy handmades.

How do we tell what # the staple is? I have access to dial calipers and micrometer. I know how to use them.

Sorry to be so ignorant but I'm a primarily a single reed player. Her PT is a college student and hasn't gone in depth with the cane specs yet. I will try to learn right along with Amelia. Can't hurt to have Mom be able to crank out a few reed just in case.

·
19,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!!!!!!!

I have gotten a few of her beginning supplies through RDG.
She has only gotten as far as wrapping and tying. This year she goes on to scraping. All of this has been on pre-gouged and shaped cane and on staples she has harvested from blown out/unsuitable factory reeds (Lescher, Fox, Jones) and crappy handmades.

How can we tell what # the staple is? I do haveaccess to and know how to use dial calipers and micrometers.

Sorry to be so ignorant but I'm a primarily a single reed player. Her PT is a college student and hasn't gone in depth with the cane specs yet. I will try to learn right along with Amelia. Can't hurt to have Mom be able to crank out a few reed just in case.

·
6,260 Posts
Get This Book Asap

bandmommy said:
Thanks!!!!!!!
snip [ [ [ .How can we tell what # the staple is? I do haveaccess to and know how to use dial calipers and micrometers.

This is what you both need to get;

Art of Oboe Reed Making [ILLUSTRATED] (Spiral-bound) by Melvin Berman

This is not only easy to understand but it tells you everything you want.
PLUS- YOU GET PICTURES.

Everything from STAPLES to scrapes to knife use is there.

I checked @AMAZON.COM and there is 31 used & new available from $9.56:)

This book will make life a breeze with reed making; and a good resource.

Have fun!:)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
Tim Price said:
Art of Oboe Reed Making [ILLUSTRATED] (Spiral-bound) by Melvin Berman

This is not only easy to understand but it tells you everything you want.
PLUS- YOU GET PICTURES.

Everything from STAPLES to scrapes to knife use is there.

I checked @AMAZON.COM and there is 31 used & new available from $9.56:)

This book will make life a breeze with reed making; and a good resource.

Have fun!:)

Glad to see you recommending Mev's book, Tim. I met him a couple of times when I was working at Gary Armstrong's shop in Toronto. AFAIK, Berman is still alive and kickin'.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would like to submit a recommendation for my current reed-man, Cooper Wright. He makes absolutely beautiful reeds, and I have turned oboists in New York, Atlanta, and Boston onto them. They're very reasonably priced, and he is EXTREMELY passionate about his reedmaking, and I know few people more knowledgeable about reeds. I've NEVER been disappointed in one of his reeds.

You can contact him via his blog, http://barbaratheoboe.wordpress.com/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,936 Posts
Make your own!!! Use 47mm tubes, brass because they are cheap. Get gouged shaped and folded cane. Soak it for 30min, measure 27mm from the fold and tie it at the mark, on with FF strength thread. Make the 1st scrape at 20mm from the fold. Make the tip 1st and use an American style upside down V then use 600 grit sandpaper on the tip and get it vibrating... then scrape the channels. It should crow a high C and low C or clip the tip slightly until it does. The upper C should predominate and learn to make reeds free blowing. Breath from your gut and learn how to keep the air stream constant. It takes about a year of consistent work with a good teacher to get good at it.

·
6,260 Posts
woodwindNYC said:
I would like to submit a recommendation for my current reed-man, Cooper Wright. He makes absolutely beautiful reeds, and I have turned oboists in New York, Atlanta, and Boston onto them. They're very reasonably priced, and he is EXTREMELY passionate about his reedmaking, and I know few people more knowledgeable about reeds. I've NEVER been disappointed in one of his reeds.

You can contact him via his blog, http://barbaratheoboe.wordpress.com/

That's great info- Thank you. :)

·
6,260 Posts
Merlin said:
Glad to see you recommending Mev's book, Tim. I met him a couple of times when I was working at Gary Armstrong's shop in Toronto. AFAIK, Berman is still alive and kickin'.
Merlin- That is very cool. I bet he was interesting- It is a great book!!!

Hope your doing well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts