Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been playing alto sax for about 6 months (hardly any time at all really!) and was considering starting oboe as well, to become a more "rounded" musician. HOWEVER... my mum has just forked out for my sax and long story short we're now broke. :cry: Any ideas where we can get a cheap oboe? Doesnt have to be the best as long as its in working condition I'll be happy. Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Cheap, working, oboe? really difficult to find.
Almost as hard to find as a good oboe teacher, or a supply of the right kind of reeds.

Sometimes a school, or county music service will have one available to rent or borrow, but this is fairly rare.

Be patient, keep practicing, keep your eyes and ears open, and you might just get lucky.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know this isn't the bassoon thread, but I just got mine for about the same price you paid for your oboe, and it came with a synthetic reed. It works fine for me, don't know about synthetic reeds for oboe, but I assume they're an alternative to the headaches and expense of maintaining real reeds. Any comments?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hate store bought reeds! i dont know how to make my own just yet but my teacher makes good ones for me.

hopefully youll be able to find a teacher. i went through 2 before i got a permanent one, and that one lives 30 minutes away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts