Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywlK_XRm0H8

im a drummer, but, this is a youtube of some of my gig tapes while living in new york 78-85

on two parts , very beggining and second to last is steve grossman
on three parts is alex foster
on one part is bunky green

and, they are burning. anyone who plays sax , should really apreciete the abilities of these sax monsters

that is why im bringing this into this sax forum. its also a good referance to how we played back then in new york, very differant from now

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Thanks. Sometimes I think there’s only a few here who got to hear Grossman play live. A force of nature.
The energy of his playing was something you really need to have witnessed live. It was always balls out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Alex Foster is the man, no one talks about him. He's good friends with my teacher so I've been hip to him for a while.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Thank you very much! Alex Foster played with Elvin Jones, Donald Byrd, Carla Bley Big Band and many others. Wonderful player. If there's anyone here not familiar with Steve Grossman, you might want to search past threads. He gets discussed fairly often.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Thank you very much! Alex Foster played with Elvin Jones, Donald Byrd, Carla Bley Big Band and many others. Wonderful player.
Yep, Jaco as well. That is how my teacher met him, he played in Jaco's big band with Alex. Funny story, my teacher was kicked off stage by Elvin Jones when just starting out in NYC as he was told by Elvin "You don't know ****, do you?" (he kept missing a weird change in a modified blues progression during a jam session)

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,736 Posts
Yep, Jaco as well. That is how my teacher met him, he played in Jaco's big band with Alex. Funny story, my teacher was kicked off stage by Elvin Jones when just starting out in NYC as he was told by Elvin "You don't know ****, do you?" (he kept missing a weird change in a modified blues progression during a jam session)
And he probably wears that interaction like a badge of honor now. Anyway if I had gotten kicked off stage by ELVIN JONES I would LOL.

I saw Elvin play at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago a few times in his later years and by then he seemed like a really sweet cat - he even handed out drumsticks to the kids at one Sunday afternoon performance - but my impression is that he wasn't always that way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Grossman sounds amazing as usual. And who is the guitar player at five minutes? sonny sharrock? It would be helpful if someone could post the time code locations of the different saxophone players.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Bunky Green taught at the school I went to after high school- in the 1990s he directed the jazz studies program at the University of North Florida in Jacksonville, until he retired in 2011. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was incredible playing with these guys .

Alex and Micheal Wolff gave me my first gig in New York , Scofeild was subbing for Barry Funnerty.I was recomended to Bunky in Chicago, and played a few gigs, then went to New York and flew back to Chicago for a gig.Steve accepted to play a gig with Tony Cimorosi 's NYC Burn, and the result is on this clip.Each great player prepared me for the next.Each if these guys sounds unique.You may think Steve sounds like Trane, but playing with him, he is moving a lot of earth. The sound of Alex is burnt orange, and Bunky commands time and space.

I couldn't see this come up on the forum so I just put it on the YouTube section.

I'll get back here to try to show the time sequence.

Sonny Sharrok is at the last clip, no 5 should be Bruce Whitcomb

Im glad you all are digging these clips. These guys are playing at such a high leval , I wanted sax players to get a chance to hear it along with my own personal pleasure to be able to call it up in YouTube when I want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry , the guitar at five minutes , must be Richie Hart , if it's with Dr Lonnie Smith , its Richie, a real burner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
0:00-0:35 steve grossman sax tony cimorosi bass bruce whitcomb guitar andrew scott potter drums
0:35-3:14 alex foster sax tony cimorosi bass bruce whitcomb guitar andrew scott potter drums
3:15-11:46 dr lonnie smith organ richie hart guitar andrew scott potter drums
11:46-13:55 alex foster sax micheal wolff piano andrew scott potter drums bass player and guitar not know ( there were various gigs with differant people, i forgot which gig this was)
13:57-16:15 walter bishop jr piano tony cimorosi bass bruce whitcomb guitar andrew scott potter drums
16:16-19:15 dr lonnie smith organ tony cimorosi bass andrew scott potter
19:18-21:54 alex foster sax tony cimorosi bass bruce whitcomb guitar andrew scott potter drums
21:55-25:13 bunky green sax steve rodby bass andrew scott potter drums
25:14-29:56 steve grossman sax tony cimorosi bass bruce whitcomb guitar andrew scott potter drums
29:57-31:09 sonny sharrok guitar ken bass mitch rothchild piano andrew scott potter drums

maybe there are some errors but at least this is a guide

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
where i never studied in school with bunky ( i left music school after 2 years, not proud, but, im self taught) just playing with him on the bandstand was a tremendous education . on the cut here, he takes us along on his solo and with out any planning or signaling, leads us into a free passage effortlessly. what is not on there is a free codenza and then he leads us back in time to john cambles piano solo.

alex steve and bunky are incredable in their own ways, and what they have in common is giving the one and clear ideas you can follow. they know how to fan the groove and communicate with the drummer.

like i said before, people might think steve sounds like trane, but, the first heavy up on this, he is coming from bird as much as anything. and, when you are backing him on drums, he isnt just playing transcribed trane lines, regurgitating them, he is dealing with you , playing huge amonts of pivot point grooves and phrases you can hook up with. he is in the moment and leading it along .you dont get any feeling you are playing with a trane copy, you feel like you just were in the real deal

alex is so refined with such a unique tone and mastery of styles. look how he dove tails along the funk groove,putting in the fast runs just at the right time to stoke tension. and he can do swing and clave.

playing with these guys ( let alone everyone on there, dr lonnie smith, richie hart, tony cimorosi, bruce whitcomb, sonny sharrok, mitch and ken, steve rodby) was music bandstand education for me

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,057 Posts
Worked with Mike Wolff for a week with Nancy Wilson back early 80's---great player

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Micheal Wolff is incredible , he doesn't have a solo here so I didn't lead with his name but what a player and beautiful guy , I'm in debt to him and Alex for life for giving me my first gig in New York with their Answering Service band, Ive been trying to pay them back since, but that is hard to top. They had a bunch of great players passing through the few gigs I had with Answering Service .Occasionally id hook up with them exchanging a few gigs here and there, and recording dates. I used them on a couple of CDs .

Mike was music director on the arsênio hall show , arsênio told mike he would use him as music director when he got a tv show,at the time he opened for Nancy Wilson. I remember mike talking about those gigs. He was the conductor .

Your name is familiar, m. Lansky

1 - 18 of 18 Posts