Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an email about these from Roberto's Winds. It's supposed to be a re-release of the model that Cannonball played on (which is apparently why they decided to put a brass ring on the shank).

It's obvious that Meyer is trying to pull back some market share from their imitators. Has anyone tried one of these yet? At $320 they're in the price range of boutique mouthpieces!

Liquid Plant Cosmetics Solution Fluid

·
Registered
251 Posts
I like Sax.co.uk, but they're very much industry talk. Still, nice demo, though it doesn't sound like alto is really his axe.

It sounds a bit brighter than the standard Meyer, it would be interesting vs a Jodyjazz HR*. At that price point, you could get any number of custom Meyer style pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,579 Posts
yikes- 320$? . they sound great in the vids of the reviews i have seen on y tube

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like Sax.co.uk, but they're very much industry talk.
Yeah, I'd like to hear an objective review from a normal user (e.g., an SOTW member) who ordered one "off the shelf", especially since JJ Babbitt's quality control is ... less than perfect.

For $320, I'm hoping that they were able to produce a more consistent product.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, FWIW, I prefer Jim's sound on the standard Meyer. I don't know how much of it has to do with his comfort on the mouthpiece (or on alto in general, as @Aquarian says above; he seems to struggle a bit in the upper end of the horn's range).

·
3,253 Posts
I think we might be underestimating the proportion of alto players in the world who have only and will only play a Meyer (for non-"legit"). I know growing up just before the age of internet ubiquity, every teacher, local pro, older student, etc that I met just knew that if you played alto, you got a Meyer. One of the teachers at the Community Music Center was considered especially weird because he thought the 6M was better than the 5M and even pointed some students towards the (gasp) large chamber. A new Meyer might be the only way to get them to buy a new mouthpiece.

Obviously things have moved on since then, but I think that contingent is still around.

Not a criticism of that mindset, really, since those were a lot of great players I got to be around who taught me a lot. But that crowd almost by definition isn't represented here.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Didn't they just reissue a NY Meyer within the last couple years? So is this the same but with a brass ring and higher price tag?
Yes they did, and I found it completely lacking character. No zip, no zing, no color. I wouldn't expect these would be any better, but who knows? I'd buy a 10MFan piece over a Meyer...............oh wait, I did.

·
3,579 Posts
my 1960,s ny meyer was the best alto mpc hands down i ever played. i was a fool to have traded it away. i was only playing rock music and thought i would never need it again

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I am definitely siding with Aquarian above - the costs of custom pieces by Phil-Tone / Johannes Gerber, to name just a couple, put these pieces very much in contention and I know where I would spend my money.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,882 Posts
Also, FWIW, I prefer Jim's sound on the standard Meyer. I don't know how much of it has to do with his comfort on the mouthpiece (or on alto in general, as @Aquarian says above; he seems to struggle a bit in the upper end of the horn's range).
I prefer his sound on the standard offering on both alto and tenor, strongly so on tenor.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
1,087 Posts
The eagerness of some individuals to negatively critique a legitimate product (it’s a mouthpiece not a Klangbogen) they’ve neither touched nor played is such an SOTW phenomenon. I’ve seen and very briefly played a Connoisseur Meyer. They are great mouthpieces. I strongly recommend folks give them a try. No, it’s not as well made as a Gerber or 10MFAN piece, but it’s a far more accurate copy of a NY Meyer plus a good bit. It’s the best alto piece Babbitt has made, IMO, and competes playing wise with the best of the best.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts