Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a high school Alto player, and I'm looking for something fun and cheap to carry around, rather than my professional horn. Online, I've stumbled across the Nuvo jSax. It seems awesome, every feature I'm looking for. The issue is in the mouthpiece. A lot of reviews have said to purchase a Bb Soprano Sax mouthpiece, but only some fit. I'd like to start it out with a Yamaha 4c, does anyone know if that would fit? Of course, I'm not going to drop hundreds of dollars on a professional mouthpiece for this thing. I just want something a little nicer than the factory one.
Also, does it work with Bb Soprano Sax reeds, or only the Eb Clarinet reeds, as stated on their website?

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I'd like to upgrade it to make it a little nicer, I just want to know the specifications.

Thanks,
PaytonCy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nuvo jSax???

Hi all,
I created a post back in August about the Nuvo jSax: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ow-anything-about-these-things&highlight=jSax

Does anybody know anything about these? Every video on YouTube of them is just crappy advertisements of a bunch of random people playing "When the Saints Go Marching In" in public parks. There isn't really any serious videos online of anybody playing them, except this one.

Me and a friend are looking to pick some up, but if they're junk I don't know if it's worth it. Does anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks,
Payton

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,946 Posts
Re: Nuvo jSax???

Do I NEED to play one to say "Thank you, no"?

Sure, you have every right to play one, just - PLEASE - don't make me listen to it.

I'd much rather hear some good playing on a tin whistle. Seriously.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts

Hi all,
I created a post back in August about the Nuvo jSax: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ow-anything-about-these-things&highlight=jSax

Does anybody know anything about these? Every video on YouTube of them is just crappy advertisements of a bunch of random people playing "When the Saints Go Marching In" in public parks. There isn't really any serious videos online of anybody playing them, except this one.

Me and a friend are looking to pick some up, but if they're junk I don't know if it's worth it. Does anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks,
Payton
Why didn’t you follow your own thread and you created yet another thread on this? Is there anything new that you are asking?

I am a high school Alto player, and I'm looking for something fun and cheap to carry around, rather than my professional horn. Online, I've stumbled across the Nuvo jSax. It seems awesome, every feature I'm looking for. The issue is in the mouthpiece. A lot of reviews have said to purchase a Bb Soprano Sax mouthpiece, but only some fit. I'd like to start it out with a Yamaha 4c, does anyone know if that would fit? Of course, I'm not going to drop hundreds of dollars on a professional mouthpiece for this thing. I just want something a little nicer than the factory one.
Also, does it work with Bb Soprano Sax reeds, or only the Eb Clarinet reeds, as stated on their website?

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I'd like to upgrade it to make it a little nicer, I just want to know the specifications.

Thanks,
PaytonCy

You could have simply added a new post to your thread!

Besides there are lots of other threads with references to the Jsax.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...-here-playing-the-Nuvo-Jsax-or-Yamaha-or-both

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...e-anything-better-than-jSax-for-similar-price

Opening threads without any reason makes the forum larger with no reason and dilutes information.

Anyway

The Jsax is not Junk, but it is not a musical instrument for adults looking to play music .

It perfectly fits the needs and the pockets of young people and their parents and does what it does.

Competent players have played these contraption (even against each other)

They are what they are

this I find a very good comparative video between Venova and Jsax showing ALL the flaws of these plastic tubes with holes and mouthpieces (take the reverb away and they sound even more horribly, I suggest that when the high notes play “ unisono” they are so far apart to make it one of the worst sounds possible ) the player is a VERY competent your saxophone player

this is just a little more flattering (I suspect that there is some autotuning involved? :whistle:)

why these things seem to be mostly an Asia phenomenon I can’t understand. I don’t understand why in China they seem to be able to make a real instrument and sell it for little more than these plastic contraptions while they could be buying something better and equally easy to play.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Hi all,
There isn't really any serious videos online of anybody playing them, except this one.
Never mind, Chicken is probably the best casting for these whiny plastic horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Anyway, the title is " The chicken” by Pee Wee Ellis

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lol at the thread police, I know you have a point but I am not certain if the search function is very good here.

Anyway, any thoughts if these are OK for little kids?My son's hands won't reach round the palm keys on a soprano.

He has an infuriating way of holding it lefty!

Would this contraption be a possible way to pick up bad habits?

And does anyone know if there is much difference between the old and new versions?

Should a 6 year old really start on a sax? I seem to remember it was 8 when I learnt at school.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts