Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have you heard from a young UK saxplayer Nubya Garcia? She's great!
Do you happen to know the brand of her sax? I think it's a Conn, but I'm not sure and I don't know which type.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
It looks like a vintage New Wonder Conn to me but I'm not expert enough to tell if it's a I, II, or Transitional (Chu). FWIW, I listened to a few of her tracks I found on the web and she has a very nice sound.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also have a G# key on my 1947 Conn Ladyface tenor, but I also thought it was a Conn that she plays with. Beautiful sound

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I also have a G# key on my 1947 Conn Ladyface tenor, but I also thought it was a Conn that she plays with. Beautiful sound
I think he's referring to what is often called the "nail-file" G# key because of it's shape and the cross-hatching pattern on the key touch.

You don't see many women playing these as the keywork is pretty challenging if you have smaller hands as many gals do. I played a silver plated one at Sax Alley for a few minutes last month and while it had a fabulous sound I knew I'd never get comfortable enough with the keywork to really enjoy playing it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
She's one of my absolute favorites of the current crop of players doing new jazz out of London. Many of these players are more musical/lyrical and less prone to technical prowess and showing off. They're bringing real musicality back to jazz, along with modern ideas and sensibilities.

I'm a huge fan of what's happening over there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another way to pick a New Wonder I or II is by the E flat palm key touch point. It's a shorter blob on the Series I, while on the II it's the same longer size as the other two palm keys. Often easier to see that than the G# key. Quite rare and refreshing to see someone prominent playing the Series I. She sounds fantastic on it. She's an incredibly engaging player.
I see she's just begun endorsing the new boutique Oldroyd-Walker Lineage sax, which is apparently Conn like in its bore and taper. I knew it was only a matter of time before a company gave her an expensive new sax, with her star on the rise. Whether she completely replaces the Conn is a wait and see.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well she's got a new sax now. Anyone know what this is?
Can't see them here but the side keys have different touch pieces. Bell guards are odd. The horn now has a different neck with unusual key.
It's the Oldroyd Walker Lineage which Flying Bilby mentioned above. Here's a review of the sax by Nigel McGill.
I think I also saw her playing a modified Conn with a modern Selmer-style pinky tables.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,481 Posts
we spoke about it several times (if you look it up here for example Oldroyd Walker Lineage horns by Amati) in several thread also I published a video ( and spoke about the horn again ) some time ago

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,237 Posts
Thanks. I missed those previous threads. I found a fair bit of information once I knew what to search for. Dave Walker used to do the Walstein saxes, I think? Some interesting concepts - but going down the vibrationalist route.
I'm interested in what could make the horn louder?

Nubya sounds great. McGill not so much. I think the plastic reeds may be the problem as I often feel he doesn't sound so good. I dunno, it just isn't a nice sound to me.

·
40,481 Posts
No the owner of Bauhaus Walstein were part owned by Martin Walker, a different Walker

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,237 Posts
No the owner of Bauhaus Walstein were part owned by Martin Walker, a different Walker
I wonder if they are related. One business was Woodwind & Brass and the new one is All Brass & Woodwind.
Walsteins seem to have closed down. Can't find any online now.

·
40,481 Posts
Bauhaus Walstein seem to have abandoned the scene, sad though this is

The horns are produced by Amati which is now owned by the Geneva group.

They at Geneva, chose to create a new brand Oldroyd Walker Lineage, in all likelihood to differentiate the normal Amati production from this, special (and very very expensive products!).

Mr. Dave Walker ( All Brass & Woodwind Ltd. , which I am sure is a totally different operation that the Woodwind & Brass one) has been a repair person with this company and has become the designer of these new line.

I am not sure that there is any relationship between the two Walkers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love Nubya lovely tone and really lyrical playing, I also like the mix of influences she brings to the genre. London Jazz is really kicking at the moment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts