1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
The jazz fan:

Median age - 45
mostly male
80% caucasian
only 17% are under 45 and most of them are musicians.

Shocker!

They could have gotten all that info right here. And this site could've used the 200k. But at least it made it look like more people were interested in going to jazz festivals. And it shows that someone, somewhere, actually wants to care about this info.

I think it's time for our own poll.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
This study is potentially going to open up some eyes in the arts community at large. Maybe even some wallets! It is huge - apparently a foot high stack of documents - and will all be published online.

Wonder if it all centered on greater Columbus or if there were studies done in a wider scope. We know jazz is somewhat of a regional taste anymore, but the subtleties of that are more mysterious. Ie: is jazz really a coastal great-city form now, or is that just where all the promoters and critics are?

·
Registered
489 Posts
What's interesting about this to me is that such a small proporation of audiences are African American...evidence that the co-opting of Jazz by white America is mostly complete.

Rap and "hip hop" are the dominant forms today, and they're in the process of being co-opted as well. I wonder what's next?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts