Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,328 Posts
Someone back in 2003 asked about Noyek resos: ====>>>
Hello there.........
I'm looking to give a little edge and brightness to my sound. Does anyone know if these resonators will bring the desired effect??? <<<====
This is an instance where you should be adding your response to the original thread rather than starting a redundant one.

BUT, as you see the size of the Noyeks are huge! I think this is contributing a lot to why this set up sounds so "brash and forward". Maybe smaller Noyeks would have left more room to mellow out when desired?

So if you think putting Noyek resos will "brighten up 'yo sound" maybe maybe not but I can say in this experiment the horn sounded very different because of them.
Yes, this horn sounded different, but it would have sounded different with oversize resos of any material. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

You need to control the experiment and have only one variable: size or geometry (flat, dome, wavy, etc.) or material. Size matters most.

38,328 Posts

38,328 Posts
Actually to be precise the original thread said below it "this is an old thread and you may not get a reply. Consider starting a new one" so I took the boards advice... : )
Yeah, that‘s part of the package of the new host software. The SotW Rules actually advise NOT to create redundant threads.

• Do not start a thread to ask exactly the same questions as a previous thread. If your question is related, or you have new information, you should continue in the existing thread.
  • Notwithstanding the above, do not pointlessly revive an old thread to answer something already answered or no longer relevant.

38,328 Posts
ok thanks, that makes sense and hopefully they'll delete this conflicting advice from the software; as a newcomer I chose to follow that clearly immediate visible option and so proclaim myself NOT guilty as charged !!!
FWIW, ignorance is not an acceptable excuse in court. ;)

Your case, however, is a great instance to share with the new administration, @VSadmin.

Actually to be precise the original thread said below it "this is an old thread and you may not get a reply. Consider starting a new one" so I took the boards advice... : )
That guidance is quite misleading and not in accordance with the forum rules.

BTW, welcome to SotW. I hope you find it as illuminating as it is contentious and entertaining.

Be well,
George

38,328 Posts
I used to have a Mark VII tenor that I put Noyeks on when I had it repadded. As much as I generally prefer darker horns, the VII was a bit too dark and pretty focused as well, and the new resonators helped bring a little extra sparkle to the tone. I don’t think they made an enormous difference, and I don’t think they improved the projection (though I have never had an issue with loudness on any saxophone), but they made the sort of minor improvement I was hoping they would.
Were the Noyeks the same size as the resos they replaced? A horn in need of repad will have extra sparkly just from eliminating an accumulation of leaks.

Reactions: Sacks Of Phones
1 - 5 of 5 Posts