Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone back in 2003 asked about Noyek resos: ====>>>
Hello there.........
I'm looking to give a little edge and brightness to my sound. Does anyone know if these resonators will bring the desired effect??? <<<====

I'm sure they are past this by now and maybe found that MP and reed and embouchure changes would be best to start with but for anyone wondering about this question I have a real world answer.

First as to the question do resonators make a difference here's this article which shows scientific info: What is the acoustic role of saxophone pad resonators?

I just played for a couple days a soprano with Noyeks and can report it's not a simple matter of Noyek making the horn "brighter" but they do make in this case a big change in sound I'd say.

I heard another same era Holton Sop that did not have Noyek and it had a pretty mellow sound (player is a big part of it) and this Holton was indeed very different sounding.

My best wording is aggressive BIG forceful (could be reigned in somewhat more mellow) but overall it was in your face power, think Jackie Mac playing Soprano. I really actually liked it a lot. But also felt it tipped the horn in such a big way towards this character that it limited it in a way in its range of possibilities. I doubt anyone could imagine Charles Foster Kane being truly "tender" hmmm?

BUT, as you see the size of the Noyeks are huge! I think this is contributing a lot to why this set up sounds so "brash and forward". Maybe smaller Noyeks would have left more room to mellow out when desired?

So if you think putting Noyek resos will "brighten up 'yo sound" maybe maybe not but I can say in this experiment the horn sounded very different because of them.

Sunglasses Automotive lighting Denim Bumper Automotive tire
Shoe Sunglasses Goggles Wood Automotive exterior
Sunglasses Automotive lighting Denim Bumper Automotive tire
Shoe Sunglasses Goggles Wood Automotive exterior

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, were the sizes of both horns' resonators "exactly" the same ? Mine as you see were huge compared to the pad size which I think made a large difference essentially I am playing on metal pads (someone correct me if I may be off on that)

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks, that makes sense and hopefully they'll delete this conflicting advice from the software; as a newcomer I chose to follow that clearly immediate visible option and so proclaim myself NOT guilty as charged !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts