Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone back in 2003 asked about Noyek resos: ====>>>
Hello there.........
I'm looking to give a little edge and brightness to my sound. Does anyone know if these resonators will bring the desired effect??? <<<====

I'm sure they are past this by now and maybe found that MP and reed and embouchure changes would be best to start with but for anyone wondering about this question I have a real world answer.

First as to the question do resonators make a difference here's this article which shows scientific info: What is the acoustic role of saxophone pad resonators?

I just played for a couple days a soprano with Noyeks and can report it's not a simple matter of Noyek making the horn "brighter" but they do make in this case a big change in sound I'd say.

I heard another same era Holton Sop that did not have Noyek and it had a pretty mellow sound (player is a big part of it) and this Holton was indeed very different sounding.

My best wording is aggressive BIG forceful (could be reigned in somewhat more mellow) but overall it was in your face power, think Jackie Mac playing Soprano. I really actually liked it a lot. But also felt it tipped the horn in such a big way towards this character that it limited it in a way in its range of possibilities. I doubt anyone could imagine Charles Foster Kane being truly "tender" hmmm?

BUT, as you see the size of the Noyeks are huge! I think this is contributing a lot to why this set up sounds so "brash and forward". Maybe smaller Noyeks would have left more room to mellow out when desired?

So if you think putting Noyek resos will "brighten up 'yo sound" maybe maybe not but I can say in this experiment the horn sounded very different because of them.

Sunglasses Automotive lighting Denim Bumper Automotive tire
Shoe Sunglasses Goggles Wood Automotive exterior
Sunglasses Automotive lighting Denim Bumper Automotive tire
Shoe Sunglasses Goggles Wood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had some wavy metal resonators put in my old old Martin stencil (Harry Pedler and Sons) tenor and I agree, turned the horn into a rock and roll horn even though the horn itself predated the invention of the electric guitar by at least 10 years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
28,755 Posts
I was in a rather unique position to evaluate them some years ago when I bought a newly repadded 10M. The resonators were basically enlarged rivets, sort of similar to the old reso pads. I had them swapped out with Noyeks within a month or two of getting the horn, and yes, the horn seemed more vibrant in my hands. The alleged science behind Noyeks has to do with the increased surface area due to the crinkles. I also had a Zephyr alto which got them with an overhaul, but it was unplayable beforehand for an accurate comparison. It remains a very lively horn.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, were the sizes of both horns' resonators "exactly" the same ? Mine as you see were huge compared to the pad size which I think made a large difference essentially I am playing on metal pads (someone correct me if I may be off on that)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
37,783 Posts
Someone back in 2003 asked about Noyek resos: ====>>>
Hello there.........
I'm looking to give a little edge and brightness to my sound. Does anyone know if these resonators will bring the desired effect??? <<<====
This is an instance where you should be adding your response to the original thread rather than starting a redundant one.

BUT, as you see the size of the Noyeks are huge! I think this is contributing a lot to why this set up sounds so "brash and forward". Maybe smaller Noyeks would have left more room to mellow out when desired?

So if you think putting Noyek resos will "brighten up 'yo sound" maybe maybe not but I can say in this experiment the horn sounded very different because of them.
Yes, this horn sounded different, but it would have sounded different with oversize resos of any material. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

You need to control the experiment and have only one variable: size or geometry (flat, dome, wavy, etc.) or material. Size matters most.

·
37,783 Posts

·
37,783 Posts
Actually to be precise the original thread said below it "this is an old thread and you may not get a reply. Consider starting a new one" so I took the boards advice... : )
Yeah, that‘s part of the package of the new host software. The SotW Rules actually advise NOT to create redundant threads.

• Do not start a thread to ask exactly the same questions as a previous thread. If your question is related, or you have new information, you should continue in the existing thread.
  • Notwithstanding the above, do not pointlessly revive an old thread to answer something already answered or no longer relevant.

·
37,783 Posts
ok thanks, that makes sense and hopefully they'll delete this conflicting advice from the software; as a newcomer I chose to follow that clearly immediate visible option and so proclaim myself NOT guilty as charged !!!
FWIW, ignorance is not an acceptable excuse in court. ;)

Your case, however, is a great instance to share with the new administration, @VSadmin.

Actually to be precise the original thread said below it "this is an old thread and you may not get a reply. Consider starting a new one" so I took the boards advice... : )
That guidance is quite misleading and not in accordance with the forum rules.

BTW, welcome to SotW. I hope you find it as illuminating as it is contentious and entertaining.

Be well,
George

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,486 Posts
my old king straight sop and these pads on the right hand stack and bell keys. it held its own playing rock and Motown. i am suprized some previous owner took the time and expence to do this to a soprano this old

·
Registered
Martin C 3 1952 bari, 1966 MARK VI TENOR, 58 Buffet Alto, 28 Martin sop, Leblanc Eb bass clarinet
173 Posts
On my C3 1956 Martin, there were Noyek.
This C3 was the second i've played (The first was a 1946 one).
The Noyek Martin has a unique buzz in all the medium frecqencies and projection is really astounding.
But they are from differents periods...
Now i've been back to Mark VI without Noyek.
I dream of an Hybrid C3/M6....

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
Interesting, were the sizes of both horns' resonators "exactly" the same ? Mine as you see were huge compared to the pad size which I think made a large difference essentially I am playing on metal pads (someone correct me if I may be off on that)
If you're asking me about the two 12Ms, I have no idea about the sizes, this was over 20 years ago. I'd expect they were similar in size.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I used to have a Mark VII tenor that I put Noyeks on when I had it repadded. As much as I generally prefer darker horns, the VII was a bit too dark and pretty focused as well, and the new resonators helped bring a little extra sparkle to the tone. I don’t think they made an enormous difference, and I don’t think they improved the projection (though I have never had an issue with loudness on any saxophone), but they made the sort of minor improvement I was hoping they would.

·
37,783 Posts
I used to have a Mark VII tenor that I put Noyeks on when I had it repadded. As much as I generally prefer darker horns, the VII was a bit too dark and pretty focused as well, and the new resonators helped bring a little extra sparkle to the tone. I don’t think they made an enormous difference, and I don’t think they improved the projection (though I have never had an issue with loudness on any saxophone), but they made the sort of minor improvement I was hoping they would.
Were the Noyeks the same size as the resos they replaced? A horn in need of repad will have extra sparkly just from eliminating an accumulation of leaks.

Reactions: Sacks Of Phones

·
Registered
832 Posts
Were the Noyeks the same size as the resos they replaced? A horn in need of repad will have extra sparkly just from eliminating an accumulation of leaks.
That may well have been the case. This was about seven years ago, and my opinion on various saxophone gadgets has evolved since then, so I don’t think I would make the same decision today. The horn was noticeably brighter than it was before the repad, but like you said, that may be due to the size of the resonators and the difference in material.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts