Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So sorry the pics did not post before....don't know why I was having the trouble...

As posted previously, this is the alto I've been learning on for the last couple years, but I have determined I'm a tenor guy. I'm looking to liquidate this horn to help pay for a tenor. Consensus is it's a Pierret, stamped '23814' as its serial number. What's a good range to expect/ask for it?

Horn plays great, and has been regularly serviced, so it's ready to go It has a basic, modern Bundy mouthpiece. The case is in pretty amazing condition...as stated previously, all latches, springs and handles work, with no scratches or scuffs, just vintage 'patina'.

Chris

·
Registered
946 Posts
That case is out of sight!

I have never heard anyone on here talk about Olds saxes.
Trumpets and trombones from Olds can be great vintage pieces, but no idea on this.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's been regularly serviced but you didn't ask the tech to replace the missing roller?

Made by Pierret it's very like the Pierret Competition, as here: Pierret Competition alto sax review

Steve Howard waxes lyrical about that one and so IF it is the same it could be rather lovely (with roller).

BUT... if it's more like a "Parisian Ambassador "or US made "Ambassador" it could be nasty.

Trouble is... any thread you read jumbles all three up and often suggests they're all the same, which they're obviously not. That in itself may reduce resale value as a buyer gives up on researching.

I have a Parisian tenor arriving soon so I should have more of an idea what they're akin to. I had an Ambassador alto years ago and disliked it. THAT was a $250 horn. Yours could be worth double if it's a Competition in disguise (and you reassure a buyer about it being serviced by having it... serviced properly, i.e. missing bits replaced).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts