Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$50 BUCKS!!

http://en.item.rakuten.com/windbros/10000910/

Sad part is that I heard about this 2nd hand from a buzz at a rehearsal in NYC about how it DOES work. With everything that has be debated here - I am curious if anybody will (or can) defend any kind of science to this. I can't.

Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
This is what I am talking about!!!! People will sell you anything you are willing to buy. That's all. Its pretty sad. I feel the same way about a lot of saxophone accessories. I think the mouthpiece is the biggest determinant of sound on a sax. Regardless of make body composition finish ribbed or not ribbed....I think in the end you just go back to the mouthpiece, because they can have very different sounds on different horns. That's where I put my money....All on the vortex necks and tone rings and stones and silver vs gold finish is a pile of crap in my book. I don't subscribe to any of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Oh ffs.

A socket screw is a socket screw. The advantage of a nickel silver one over a brass one is that it may be harder, but that's it. It will do the same job as any socket screw.

But if you want to spend £30-something on a socket screw that doesn't even look particularly well finished, then that's your perogative.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I'm waiting for the vintage model.

·
4,315 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Wind Bros. is right down the street from Ishimori, who sells a similar product. http://robertoswinds.com/view_product.php?prod_id=1666

I wrote about how cleaning a neck tenon screw helps in my aptly titled thread: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?147061-Sounds-crazy-but-just-try-it-thread

Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere, but there used to be a trombone product called the "Pocket Rocket" (seriously). It was basically a weight that you (get this) put in your pocket while playing. It didn't even touch the trombone. Supposed to help increase resonance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I suppose one explanation for any perceived improvement in tone could be down to the size of the head. If it's larger than the existing screw you'd have a bit more leverage, which would result in a slightly tighter seal on the tenon joint - assuming it wasn't all that good in the first place.

Other than that, you'd get just as much improvement by facing west when you played...

Regards,

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
You would have to have a serious buzz to pay that much for a neck screw. A sucker and his money are soon parted. I know, its a space shuttle saxophone screw, lol.

·
6,862 Posts
Yeah it will make a Series III sound like a SBA!!!
Now that you mention it...you might be able to make a few bucks on here selling one that makes a Mark VI sound like a YTS-23! :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
:mrgreen: it is outside the horn why should it matter?
and if we change the horn pearls..? will it have a vintage sound? :lick:

·
4,315 Posts
Haaaa maybe we get radiocarbon date some seashells and find out their age, I'm sure shells which are 100 years or older give the most vintage sound on sax. I mean duuuuuhh!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Haaaa maybe we get radiocarbon date some seashells and find out their age, I'm sure shells which are 100 years or older give the most vintage sound on sax. I mean duuuuuhh!!!

agree agree :mrgreen: later i will find some in the beach near me. i also will eat some lobster :lick:

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I imagine for the deluded folks who but this product they'll either swear by it ('cos otherwise they'd have to admit their foolishness) or they'll just quietly chalk it up to experience. It's the former that the seller is counting on. The emperor's new clothes!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I imagine for the deluded folks who but this product they'll either swear by it ('cos otherwise they'd have to admit their foolishness) or they'll just quietly chalk it up to experience. It's the former that the seller is counting on. The emperor's new clothes!
:salute::salute::salute::salute:

I do like to wrap the threads of the neck screw with a few layers of plumber's teflon tape to give it a nice smooth feel as it tightens. It has nothing to do with the sound, but wait . . . maybe I could market "sax-flon" and sell it for $20 a roll. :twisted:

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,480 Posts
Wind Bros. is right down the street from Ishimori, who sells a similar product. http://robertoswinds.com/view_product.php?prod_id=1666

I wrote about how cleaning a neck tenon screw helps in my aptly titled thread: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?147061-Sounds-crazy-but-just-try-it-thread

Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere, but there used to be a trombone product called the "Pocket Rocket" (seriously). It was basically a weight that you (get this) put in your pocket while playing. It didn't even touch the trombone. Supposed to help increase resonance!
I got the stones to prove it! B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Devil's advocate: Perhaps the nickel has a bit of natural lubrication properties (it does feel kinda slippery to the touch), and reduces friction when tightening the screw, which would allow you to get a better seal on the tenon and improve the response a bit, just like shmulyosef's experiment with the lubricant on the screw. Not that I'll be spending 50 bucks on that... just sayin'

·
4,315 Posts
:salute::salute::salute::salute:

I do like to wrap the threads of the neck screw with a few layers of plumber's teflon tape to give it a nice smooth feel as it tightens. It has nothing to do with the sound, but wait . . . maybe I could market "sax-flon" and sell it for $20 a roll. :twisted:
I'll buy 3 please!!! But wouldn't that be called T-ligging?

·
6,862 Posts
There's only one Pocket Rocket!

Well...maybe two...but this is a family station!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts