Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm happy to say we now have a new policy on Classified ads (ie the category formerly known as the Marketplace):
  • Eligible members = 50 posts and six months membership as before BUT irrespective of join date.
  • Comments allowed by both seller and members. But as before no negative comments about item or debating price. It is buyer beware!
  • Staff will not not get involved in disputes (unless clear fraud or criminal). Don't report to staff about disputes, sort it out yourself or via Paypal.
  • No bumping as before and inline with forum rules. (New significant info and price drops are OK, but no "Still for sale type posts)
  • One item per ad.
  • Other existing rules apply (e.g no capitals or special characters in titles, required info etc...)
We will update the rules as soon as the admin/tech people have sorted the permissions.

Please don't complain that you can't yet comment. This is just the new policy - it may take time to change the actual permissions. Hopefullthis wioil be rolled out very soon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
First of all, Thank You to the moderators for sustaining the effort to make a graceful transition.

And while you’re revisiting the policy, is there any proven benefit to having only one item per ad?

The previous effort to quantify “Significant price drops” was a very clear guideline - I hope similar clarity continues. Having unambiguous rules should make the job of the moderators less contentious.

Be well, Pete.

Thanks again.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,202 Posts
Some progress. Agree with one item per ad policy. Open a store or get a vendor account if you have a ton of the same things to sell.

I greatly dislike having people post random noise in my for sale threads. Whtvr.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm happy to say we now have a new policy on Classified ads (ie the category formerly known as the Marketplace):
  • Eligible members = 50 posts and six months membership as before BUT irrespective of join date.
Thank you for the clarification. As a long time member I was once again going to ask to be "grandfathered" into the Classified Ads. Instead I get my post count up to qualify.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Thank you for the clarification. As a long time member I was once again going to ask to be "grandfathered" into the Classified Ads. Instead I get my post count up to qualify.
Is it such a horrible price to pay - participating in the community where you choose to buy/sell gear for free?

Reactions: malteof

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is it such a horrible price to pay - participating in the community where you choose to buy/sell gear for free?
Hey Dr G. The reason I have a low post count is I don't have the level of knowledge that other SOTW members have, and therefore I usually don't have anything to add to the conversation. I am however a daily reader. Also I would be glad to pay a fee to SOTW when I use the Classifieds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,117 Posts
The reason I have a low post count is I don't have the level of knowledge that other SOTW members have, and therefore I usually don't have anything to add to the conversation. I am however a daily reader. Also I would be glad to pay a fee to SOTW when I use the Classifieds.
I had the same feeling for the first couple of years after I joined. However, there are lots of amateurs like me here and SOTW is also a social media of sorts. There is no filter for members who can play Giant Steps in all 12 keys proficiently and I will bet money on that few can. Also, nothing wrong with asking questions about things you don't know about or curious what opinions other people may have. If you have pics of a cool old or new horn, there are always plenty of geeks here who will appreciate. One can think whatever of the 50 post rule, but it is hardly an astronomical number.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,202 Posts
Well spoken, brasscane. All are not only welcome but almost expected to participate here and there.

Most of us are not experts on most things.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,920 Posts
And take 8 years for 50 posts :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Please let us know when we are able to comment. Hopefully we are allowed to bump our listing one time to bring it up to speed with the new rules and forum. The last time the marketplace rules changed I bumped so that my post was not hidden and I was banned from the forum for three months. [ADMIN fact check: this is not true] Please clarify if we need to make a bump worthy comment once the new rules are set and ready to go.

·
28,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m sure it will be announced. A bump amnesty initially sounds like a good suggestion but could be confusing, it might be better to relist.

·
28,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, bump amnesty just fosters incorrect behaviour.
I agree, I was thinking further about it and although it is a reasonable idea, as most people don't read announcements or stickies or rules, we would just get a flood of reports about bumping. And then people would bump beyond the amnesty period and then we'd get "So and so bumped, why can't I now bump" etc.

It seems like it would just be asking for trouble.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts