Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Reine has passed the honour on to me of selecting a tune for November, and it's going to be impossible to top Stardust, so I've decided to go with a great jazz original. We've had a couple from Herbie Hancock before and I was looking at a few Wayne Shorter tunes but I decided on Dolphin Dance because of its beautiful melody and interesting sequence which, although challenging in terms of some of the unusual transitions, moves at a reasonable pace. This is a tune that gets called sometimes and I've never really learned it before.
Here's the original with a great solo by one of my favourite tenor players George Coleman-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB2Z2DY17yQ

If anyone needs a track PM me. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Okay, I've said this before I'm positively "stoked" for this month's tune! I'm already chomping at the bit to have a go at it....(you've been warned)

One of my favorite versions of this tune is from the old Mel Lewis plays Herbie Hancock lp that was arranged by Bob Mintzer. Dick Oatts sounds incredible on that one, imo...love his section playing too!

Mel Lewis JO Dolphin Dance featuring Dick Oatts

Here's another Mel Lewis version from the same era with Kenny Garrett on alto...
http://youtu.be/zwR6jeSnE8I

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
A great tune from a record with a frightful density of great tunes. I should finally buy the Maiden Voyage record! Great choice Rolltrane. Definitely one to do with a backing - its always a pain for me to set that up, but I'm game.

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Maiden Voyage, Herbie Hancock's classic album with George Coleman and Freddie Hubbard, is one of THE great jazz albums of all time. Vital. Essential.

I'd rank that one right up there with Kind of Blue, Blues and the Abstract Truth, Bird's Savoy Master Takes; your favorite Basie, Ellington, and Armstrong recordings; Giant Steps, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers with Horace Silver, Thelonius Monk Brilliant Corners, Getz Gilberto, Wes Wontgomery (the Incredible Jazz Guitar of), Sonny Rollins Saxophone Collosus, Birth of the Cool, No Room for Squares, Time Out, Bill Evans Live at the Vanguard, Speak No Evil... the best of the best (in no particular order).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great tune!

Here is a link to a recording I did approx. 2.5 yrs ago when my then newly acquired and first tenor ever got back from a full overhaul.

Dolphin dance

kulos
great job! You just set the bar very high! Very comfortable on the changes and great sound. Will you be posting an up to date one, that would be interesting to hear how things have changed..

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I've said this before I'm positively "stoked" for this month's tune! I'm already chomping at the bit to have a go at it....(you've been warned)

One of my favorite versions of this tune is from the old Mel Lewis plays Herbie Hancock lp that was arranged by Bob Mintzer. Dick Oatts sounds incredible on that one, imo...love his section playing too!

Mel Lewis JO Dolphin Dance featuring Dick Oatts

Here's another Mel Lewis version from the same era with Kenny Garrett on alto...
http://youtu.be/zwR6jeSnE8I
thanks for posting, great to hear the sound of well- loved vinyl! What a band and chart! Kenny Garrett really burns on the video clip, fantastic solo with a young Joe Lovano beside him. Dick Oatts playing lead, great band, not the best era for male (and female) hair it has to be said though

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
finally got a brief respite from a stressful work week and took a couple "swings" at this Herbie Hancock classic with each sax and the classic vol 11 backing track...(you know it, you love it!). 2nd take on each sax.

My tenor sound was "different" don't know if it was the funky reed or that I hadn't played tenor for a couple weeks. Mic was further out this time...

Dolph n Danse (alto)

Doll Find Ants (tenor)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Kulos - really nice tenor sound on there! Very even throughout. Good to hear you again..really liked lyrical lines you played over the pedal point around 2.40 and after. I thought you did a good job capturing the mood and negotiating all the shifting harmonies in this one. Nice how you ended it to. Getting us of to a great start!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Very nice kick off with your take, Kulos. You've got an admirable mellow tenor sound, and I liked your thoughtful solo. I'd love to hear you play one now.
Faxsaxwas9, you seemed more comfortable on the tenor to me. I admire the intensity with which you throw yourself in your solos!

Here's my take, this time I tried a little experiment and played into a different corner of my little phone booth. A slight improvement in sound quality is hopefully appreciated.
It's a beautiful tune, by the fourth time I felt I could move around the changes more comfortably - still having some problems landing the end of my lines in the proper spot.

http://soundcloud.com/rennierennie/dolfijnedans/s-ZMZ7z

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fsaxwas- I admire your ability to jump in there straightaway, I agree you sound a bit more comfortable on the tenor (there were quite a few verbal injections on the alto track- which I liked), although I'm guessing that wasn't your favourite reed. You certainly captured the much more contemporary vibe of this track and you responded well to all the rhythmic variation they bring to it

Rennie- sounds great, I especially liked the unifying device of the upward runs you used throughout and the treatment of the melody. Sounded like you have all the chords down though as you say some of the transitions can trip you up. Great variation of boppy fast runs and more laid back approach. Recorded sound was better and it was nice to hear the backing for a change!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rennie- meant to say also there was a very nice section at the end of a chorus around 2.20 or so where you set up the next chorus very well

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
@Rolltrane - last time i had the reed on the alto that was too soft. This time it as a bit too hard so I was fighting with the setup a bit there, which you obviously could hear. In both takes I could have done a better job with navigating the harmonies. I'm sure I "skated" the changes there a bit...hopefully I can spend a bit of time and get a different take together later this month. It really is a wonderful tune, one of Herbie's very best. A great post-bop jazz standard.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I hate to have missed last month's TOTM so I'm happy I actually had some time today to work on a take for Dolphin Dance....I love this tune, and this is a great chance to get more familiar with the changes. I'm playing a new horn since my last post ... it's a Viking M40 with the copper bell and neck. I'm still using a Vandoren V16 #8 but I have a Gerber Slant coming in the mail and will try to put up a take with that piece as well.

Haven't had time to listen to the other takes yet, but I will try to comment soon!

Porpoise Polka

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's been a while but am back to my favorite thread :) Thank you Rolltrane for the great tune choice.

i've been struggling forever to find my alto sound, after giving up on alto for years & trying to convince myself i was born to play tenor, am back to my alto fight again...

Dolphin Dance Alto

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
David Wells- how great to have a new horn to play, its an amazing sound you get, love the way you are using the full range. You seem to be completely nailing the changes- I'm going to have to listen to this several more times!

Shady- nice to hear from you again, enjoyable take, i hear you working on the sound all through that take, for me a bit of soprano influence at times, might be a voicing thing. I especially loved your trills when it got into the outro and you started bringing that North African vibe to it, you sounded very comfortable there

thanks for posting guys

·
Registered
818 Posts
I hate to have missed last month's TOTM so I'm happy I actually had some time today to work on a take for Dolphin Dance....I love this tune, and this is a great chance to get more familiar with the changes. I'm playing a new horn since my last post ... it's a Viking M40 with the copper bell and neck. I'm still using a Vandoren V16 #8 but I have a Gerber Slant coming in the mail and will try to put up a take with that piece as well.

Haven't had time to listen to the other takes yet, but I will try to comment soon!

Porpoise Polka
dctwells: YOU DON'T NEED A NEW MOUTHPIECE!!! you sound killin' w/ that one!.... REAL nice take!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts