Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love any comments or feedback. Suggestions on my improvisation would be great too!

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Very nice sound, seemed pretty even throughout (you could be a little more to the front in the mix though). Noted you under pitch in a few spots with some sharpness on a few of the high tones (common tendency). You were fairly busy right away, at this tempo I think you could pace yourself by playing a little less at first. I liked a lot of your ideas, you played those long eighth note lines confidently. Nice build of energy. Good playing solid take.

A few ideas you could try with this tune...a little more space at times might help things breathe and break things up a bit. It might be interesting to use some 3-4 note motifs and then work on varying/sequencing those to build some continuity. You could also incorporate some rhythmic variety with those shorter pharses. More rhythmic complexity is very helpful to keep the listener engaged when you're essentially playing over two chords. I thought you did a fine job with this, these are just some suggestions on how you could tell a more engaging story (based on my preferences, I guess).

Check out Trane in this clip (I've watched this so many times)...notice how he uses repetition and melodic sequencing (I love the sequence starting at 3:30) and how he contrasts the longer runs with more simple melodic ideas or motifs. Miles second chorus towards the end really exemplifies how you can take simple ideas and do a lot with them. Miles was a master at saying a lot with less notes....

So What - Miles Davis with Coltrane

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Fine tone and some really good moments. Those ideas don't always link giving a flow. Seems like there are too many arpeggios as fills. Full marks for it being an honest improvisation and not an over-rehearsed canned interpretation. Somewhere between working this out a little more and your honesty there will be an excellent play.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think it always helps when you have more cohesiveness or continuously evolving performance. Don't know if you have ever heard Wayne Shorter on the Live at the Plugged Nickel recordings, but it's very interesting how "impressionistic" or "abstract" he can sound but at the same time his "big picture" seems to tell a story that unfolds in an interesting an engaging way. The overall picture is more important than the individual notes, licks, and phrases.

I don't know anything about your background, but I feel listening to a lot of great improvised music (whatever it is) helps trememndously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm still just in High School and try to listen to as much jazz as I can, and I'm always trying to improve.

Heres a new (and better recording). I tried to incorporate these ideas.---

1 - 7 of 7 Posts