Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all of our friends and customers: we are currently on minimum life support (small generator) as the heat without heat the index yesterday was 116 F here! The transformer supplying us died due to heat stress (imagine that! LOL!). Since we are outside of the city limits we are NOT real high on priority list. Please be patient and pray for us that we don't end up like the transformer!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,859 Posts
That sucks. You're welcome to come about 1000 miles north to work for a while, should the heat bother you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,500 Posts
Be careful out there - and if you are alright, take the time to call others to make sure they are alright too.

Stay hydrated - drink before you get thirsty. This kind of heat can kill.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I hope you have a lot of shade trees (the pioneers' air conditioning).

This has been an interesting year. Yesterday it was 108 in downtown KC, a few degrees higher in the southwest suburbs.
This morning's newspaper pointed out that exactly 6 months ago it was -12, with 10 inches of snow on the ground.

·
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ya'll

Dr. G - the generator is keeping the frig and freezer going, a fan and a couple of small lights. I'm worried about my wife as the meds she takes and heat don't like each other.

retread - we had to cut down several of the trees to build the new building in 2006. We replanted but they aren't big enough to help yet. 106 in the shade right now (12:43 central)!

·
Registered
528 Posts
On the plus side... if you get hungry, you can go fry an egg on the hood of your car. :lol:

Tough break on the power/AC thing though. A pass through a cold shower now and then can help cool off a bit. Hope the power comes back up soon.

I still haven't had a chance to come by your shop to have you look over my old Aristocrat. I want to go over finish options and costs and just have a look at the shop and shoot the breeze if you have time. I may even bring the Mark VI to see if you think it might benefit from a little regulation here and there. I know palm E is quite flat... need to trim a bit off the felt. Odd thing is, I don't remember it being like that 30 years ago. :dontknow:

I'll give you a call when it looks like I might be able to arrange a Saturday in Shreveport.

Meanwhile, try to stay cool... spray some water on the roof of your house every once in a while too. Every pound of water (~ 8¼ gallons) removes almost 1,000 Btu. I worked in an office once, with a metal roof overhead and no insulation between roof and drop-ceiling... literally a sweat shop :D We put a sprinkler on the roof and dropped the inside temp by 10°. Probably won't be as dramatic with a typical home roof w/ attic, but should still help. :dontknow:

·
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the plus side... if you get hungry, you can go fry an egg on the hood of your car. :lol:

Tough break on the power/AC thing though. A pass through a cold shower now and then can help cool off a bit. Hope the power comes back up soon.

I still haven't had a chance to come by your shop to have you look over my old Aristocrat. I want to go over finish options and costs and just have a look at the shop and shoot the breeze if you have time. I may even bring the Mark VI to see if you think it might benefit from a little regulation here and there. I know palm E is quite flat... need to trim a bit off the felt. Odd thing is, I don't remember it being like that 30 years ago. :dontknow:

I'll give you a call when it looks like I might be able to arrange a Saturday in Shreveport.

Meanwhile, try to stay cool... spray some water on the roof of your house every once in a while too. Every pound of water (~ 8¼ gallons) removes almost 1,000 Btu. I worked in an office once, with a metal roof overhead and no insulation between roof and drop-ceiling... literally a sweat shop :D We put a sprinkler on the roof and dropped the inside temp by 10°. Probably won't be as dramatic with a typical home roof w/ attic, but should still help. :dontknow:
heck, we don't hardly live in the house anymore! 20 hour days trying to get caught up. We have more business this year than we have had in the last 25 combined (100 more arrived Monday)! plus teaching and performing in with that makes for 1 tired fat boy!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,034 Posts
I am right there with you Doc. Oklahoma City as of today has had 41 days of over 100 degrees and yesterday it hit 109 and right now it is 111 and may hit 113.

The next 7 days are not predicted to be any better, and I have to play an outside gig at 6pm tomorrow evening and it is supposed to be 107.

I wish you the best of luck.

B

·
Registered
341 Posts
Need relief? Come to Seattle. I think it may be the only cool spot in the country. We've had absolutely no summer, just rain and clouds. I like it hot but, Doc, I feel for you bro', enough is enough.

Take care.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,617 Posts
Ouch! Sounds horrid. Good luck. We have had really weird weather here, too, including rain in July (it never rains here in July). The last few days have been more normal for a San Francisco summer, with high temps in the mid to upper 60s.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,034 Posts
Ouch! Sounds horrid. Good luck. We have had really weird weather here, too, including rain in July (it never rains here in July). The last few days have been more normal for a San Francisco summer, with high temps in the mid to upper 60s.
Coldest I have ever been was in San Francisco on July 4th! It gets cold in the summer. Could use some of that right now. :(

·
Registered
688 Posts
Wow! And I have yet to see a temperature over 80F this summer (or really long spring?!?).

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,868 Posts
Notice the inside temperature is 78.6 which is correct as I usually run the central air up to 77-78 during the day. I work from home and I have converted a 4th bedroom into an office. I have a window a/c unit in it and maintain a comfty 68 during the day. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts