Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a recording session today. I was asked to bring bari, bass clarinet, recorders
flute, alto flute and I decided to take my picc. It all went fine until I suggested playing a part on piccolo which I haven't practiced for months. My chops were not there and eventually I gave up with a promise to do it next week.
The picc takes no prisoners and there's nowhere to hide. It's also a difficult horn to practice at home with neighbours..I already knew all this so why I took it I don't know.
One thing I did learn for getting a recorder to really sound in tune..cut all the instruments out except the piano. I could really pitch then and when everything was put back it sounded pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
YES and i wear ear plugs when i play my treble flute and piccolo so my hearing isnt damaged by those crazy high notes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Gary Foster tells a great story about a recording session he was on with Pete Christlieb. Christlieb was asked by the director "Pete, do you have your piccolo?" Christlieb replied "Sorry, I don't. I sent it out to be practiced."

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very funny..I like that.

It reminds me of a story Benny Green ( Author and saxophonist) told in one of his books.

A combo had been put together and Benny, Johnny Dankworth and ( I think) Ronnie Scott were on the saxes. All of them were quite rusty apparantly..after a while one of the band shouted
" Will the real saxplayer stand up"

·
Registered
904 Posts
Note to self:

Pawning pic to buy booze in '95 was a good idea.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
Loaning your pic to a young flute student will get you severly admonished by the parent. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
Loaning your pic to a young flute student will get you severly admonished by the parent. ;)
I used that one to avoid practicing it last year, it worked great for over 6 months, then the brat had to go buy her own! hehe

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Note to self:

Pawning pic to buy booze in '95 was a good idea.
I'll hit up my local broker in the A.M. I hate that vile little screechy thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts