Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for one (or both) of two things utilizing the Apple Pencil, not sure they exist and if they do which one(s) are best:

1. An app like Notability, etc that has a template of staff paper so I can hand write bits of music and notes, etc when practicing.
2. Music notation software that uses the Pencil and converts as you go to “prettier” notes.

If I can find either I’d buy a Pencil and use it with iPad.

J

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Goodnotes has staff paper, that’s what I use to sketch ideas with....not sure about the 2nd question....

·
Registered
718 Posts
These sound like some great ideas. I already use my iPad and pencil extensively in both work and music. I hope someone chimes in with a program that does both of your wishes. Handwriting to text has been done for years, so handwritten music notes to standard ones shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I'm curious if something has been developed as well. Staff Pad (https://www.staffpad.net/ ) has been around for several years now for the Surface tablet and I would have thought someone would have created a similar app for iOS by now.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I don't know anything that converts to actual written notes, however...

I'll say this though: I LOVE Forescore. I use it for almost all my sheet music needs at this point. I loaded almost everything I need there: 6 Real books in all the keys, Omnibooks, Jamey Aebersolds, Hal Leonards, all my charts, etc. You can import pictures, connect bluetooth page turners, import from cloud services, record yourself, etc.

Also, I keep a few "scrap" manuscript papers in there to jot down ideas and work through some things and it looks good with the pencil-- it looks just as good as any handwritten music I would write, but I can color code, change size, etc.

-Bubba-

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Yeah I use ForScore for my funk band gig charts and it's very well developed. I was hoping they would add two things; better indexing for the standard fake books and the notation capabilities like StaffPad. Right now I'm using iGigBook for fakebooks but it took hours to get the indexing setup so it works pretty well - fewer hours than it would have taken to bookmark everything in a pdf viewer or do it in ForScore but still a lot of time. Mostly I just can't stand the guy who wrote the app who's a total a$$hat so once I find something I can switch to without too much pain I'd just as well say goodbye to iGigBook.

·
1,146 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
didn’t see a free version....just the 14.99....
are you looking at the App Store on your iOS device? I can't see the price any longer since I already got/bought it. I could swear they had a free version. the one I've got only allows for 1 staff sheets for example, but that's is perfect for jazz lead sheets. anyway, even at $15, that's a worthwhile investment IMO.

·
1,146 Posts
are you looking at the App Store on your iOS device? I can't see the price any longer since I already got/bought it. I could swear they had a free version. the one I've got only allows for 1 staff sheets for example, but that's is perfect for jazz lead sheets. anyway, even at $15, that's a worthwhile investment IMO.
yes, app store on my ipad...you answered the next question, that it’s worth the 15...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Notion is an amazing, robust program for composing. But the ability to handwrite notes with an Apple Pencil requires an in-app purchase. I actually purchased it long ago and forgot I had the app and the capability. (This sort of thing happens with embarrassing regularity.)

I use OneNote for my music organizing and annotating of PDFs and photographs of music because I use it for many other aspects of my personal and professional life so I'm always familiar with the layout and flow of the organization. It seems very intuitive for me and being able to work on it from any device, from my MacBook, PC, Surface, iPad, or iPhone.

·
1,146 Posts
It’s there. Keep looking.
I’m trying it to see if the upgrade is worth it.
searched notion and notion free....nothing there....

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
it is $14.99 plus a few bucks for the in-app purchase of the stylus option. still worth it IMO.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can also check out symphony 5. I have this app and notion and end usually up using symphony 5.(handwriting also requires an in app purchase if I remember correctly)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can also check out symphony 5. I have this app and notion and end usually up using symphony 5.(handwriting also requires an in app purchase if I remember correctly)
I don’t see how notion uses the Apple Pencil. Am I missing something? Does Symphony 5?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Notion supports the pencil through an in-app additional purchase of that option, like Symphony.
you don't even have to paint the note black like they do in this video. just a small diagonal like where the note goes converts to a black note.
https://youtu.be/OqCuy6-k0-Y

I don’t see how notion uses the Apple Pencil. Am I missing something? Does Symphony 5?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Notion supports the pencil through an in-app additional purchase of that option, like Symphony.
you don't even have to paint the note black like they do in this video. just a small diagonal like where the note goes converts to a black note.
https://youtu.be/OqCuy6-k0-Y
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts