Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing an original (and here's my plug for OOTM "Original of the Month"- post an original of your own on the OOTM thread! You won't regret it!)

My question is:
I need to have a passage that is just a break with free-form improv. What value do I put in the space? It's just kind of an ad lib for as long as you want thing with no constraints- it makes sense in the context of the tune.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I'm writing an original (and here's my plug for OOTM "Original of the Month"- post an original of your own on the OOTM thread! You won't regret it!)

My question is:
I need to have a passage that is just a break with free-form improv. What value do I put in the space? It's just kind of an ad lib for as long as you want thing with no constraints- it makes sense in the context of the tune.
"free form improv"

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Sonja, I’ve played a lot of charts from small group to big band where this has been a request to the soloist.
Some of the wording I can remember ranges from ‘Atonal Solo’ ‘Go Nuts’ ‘Free Form Improv’ ‘Open Solo no changes’ etc

If I was writing a chart and wanted this I would possibly direct it with ‘Open Free Form Solo no changes and cue end of solo to band’

Something like that would surely give the soloist the idea of what was required by the composer I think.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would you suggest I put for the length of the measure is there a way to put sn indefinite time or something?

Reactions: Alex Nyman

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,738 Posts
What would you suggest I put for the length of the measure is there a way to put sn indefinite time or something?
A Hold over the measure

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Sonja the mere fact you put ‘open solo’ means exactly that. It’s open until the soloist decides to shut up😄 or she/he gets a cue from someone to say the bands ready to come in. Or you may want to have the band come in whilst she/he’s soloing. The easiest things is just write down in words what you want. Stand up. Sit down. Do a little dance. Play the hooter at a jauntier angle than usual. Quite literally spell out what you want. No need for special markings.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Is it a lead sheet or a chart with parts for everyone? If a lead sheet, the fermata over a slash, with written instructions is fine. For a chart, the soloist gets the lead sheet instructions, everyone else gets a measure rest with a fermata and an instruction “Wait for cue”.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it a lead sheet or a chart with parts for everyone? If a lead sheet, the fermata over a slash, with written instructions is fine. For a chart, the soloist gets the lead sheet instructions, everyone else gets a measure rest with a fermata and an instruction “Wait for cue”.
Yes that is what I was looking for- slash with the fermata. I’m still deciding on instrumentation. Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
7,905 Posts
I would put a whole note in the bar you are talking about. On top of that, put a fermata (a.k.a. birds eye). Above the formata write the words “ad lib cadenza“. Then in the following bar, write the words “on cue“.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,562 Posts
If by 'free form' you mean no specific chord changes, then the suggestions above would apply. OTOH, in case you want the band to 'vamp' behind the soloist with some basic changes, you could call it a "I-IV vamp" or something like that, depending on what chords you want.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess there are a variety of ways to do it. I guess HS chart would have different terminologies than other genres though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts