Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick intro, because I'm brand new, here. Y'all can call me Junk, it's an old CB handle.
I played alto in high school, and that was twenty something years ago, but I've decided to take playing up again. As such, I have been looking around for a used yamaha 23 (my old model) or something comparable. I was recently told to find a used 52 as it would be in better shape. But, that's a different story.
I went into a junk store today and purchased a sax for $30. It's nothing to get myself worked up about, it needs all new pads, the low C cup, rod and key are missing, the octave key needs to be put back on, and it needs a good six hours of elbow grease. (Junk, right?)
The question is pretty direct, but maybe difficult, as I have spent all afternoon on the net (made my flance mad) trying to find out about this critter. Who made the Velvetone? It has a serial number, E2710. Any ideas?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
If it has the "wedge shaped" tone holes, it's probably a Martin stencil. Some Velvetones were.

Go up to the search window above and put in the work "velvetone". You should get some good data.

Also if you are planning to rebuild it yourself, you probably want to get familiar with the MusicMedic website. They've got all the supplies you will need.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it has the "wedge shaped" tone holes, it's probably a Martin stencil. Some Velvetones were.

Go up to the search window above and put in the work "velvetone". You should get some good data.

Also if you are planning to rebuild it yourself, you probably want to get familiar with the MusicMedic website. They've got all the supplies you will need.

And welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome, though I may be the guy with a million questions.

I looked at the tone holes, and they are a little off center. I suppose this could make them appear wedge shaped.
However, I am thinking it is not a Martin, as it was made in Italy. On the other hand, I really don't know, which is why I am asking.

Thanks, also for the MusicMedic referral. I will likely need that.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
As always, looking for pics to this exotic. Got any you'd care to share?

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Not yet. Working on that. Um, should I use photobucket or the like?
Sure, it'll do the job. A lot of us love sleuthing out old stencils

1 - 8 of 8 Posts