Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am playing a meyer 5m richie cole signature piece, with a bluetac baffle, and because of the recent underperformance of RJS reeds, the sound is so inconsistent, along with the baffle constantly morphing, falling out etc.
what should i do, try a new mouthpiece? make a better baffle? try new reeds?
i want a focused sound, warm, 'textured' and rich

thanks,
Dan

·
2,220 Posts
It's so incredibly late at night/early in the morning that nobody beat me to it....

.....long tones! Hah, I got here first!

A great mouthpiece will obviously not hurt your sound, and I've heard less than good things about the Richie Cole pieces. I think your best bet would be getting either a Morgan, a Jody Jazz HR, or, if you have the luxury, the best out of a whole bunch of stock Meyers. This is just so you have the tools.

But the best thing is just to stick with a piece of equipment you don't hate and play on it for hours and hours. Play long notes with a tuner, see if you can match overtones to normal fingerings and keep them all in tune, hopefully you've heard this stuff before and I'm just being repetitive and pedantic.

Something that Eddie Van Halen said has always stuck with me: don't practice, just play and enjoy it. The more you play, the better you get.

·
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
long tones, overtones, playing for hours, i do all that, my richie cole piece was great on my first sax but i've been making do with it on my SBA, it doesn't really work though, i just need to find somewhere in the UK to try out a Morgan.

thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're in the UK, check out saxophones.co.uk I hear they have a very good selection of equipment for you to try out, and the prices are really good.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
long tones, overtones, playing for hours, i do all that, my richie cole piece was great on my first sax but i've been making do with it on my SBA, it doesn't really work though, i just need to find somewhere in the UK to try out a Morgan.

thanks.
I think you're answering your own question, Dan. If you've got some experience as a player, surely you know that having a home-made baffle that keeps falling out is a problem. :scratch: So how does the mpc/horn combination work without the baffle? If it's not a good match then you need to try other mpcs, perhaps a larger chambered one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
along with the baffle constantly morphing, falling out etc.
Plasticine wont do that as much. Or just ditch the baffle idea.

Dont like your sound? Practice more:)

·
1,210 Posts
considering what you say and looking at your signature you may be overly focused on equipment!?!?!? really just a guess, I don´t have any idea on what level you play.

but my advise would be the same as heavy weather´s: find something out of which you or someone else can get a decent sound at least once...and then work on being able to get a nice sound out of it every time you use it.

I´ve become so accustomed to the equipment I use now that I am almost always satisfied with the sound I get. But I´ve been using it for a long time...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
Rather than recommend a mp or longtones, I would say experiment with reed varieties and thickness and different ligatures and how you place them on the mp.

It is cheaper and more practical solution, equipment-wise.
Of course,
nothing beats working on those longtones, however!:twisted:

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
i am playing a meyer 5m richie cole signature piece, with a bluetac baffle, and because of the recent underperformance of RJS reeds, the sound is so inconsistent, along with the baffle constantly morphing, falling out etc.
what should i do, try a new mouthpiece? make a better baffle? try new reeds?
i want a focused sound, warm, 'textured' and rich

thanks,
Dan
Take the baffle out and take more mouthpiece in your mouth. There's nothing wrong with that mouthpiece at all and you can make the reeds work, they're not that bad. Also, someone mentioned playing long tones. If you play long tones incorrectly it's worse than not practicing at all. Long tones are old technology. Search for the tone production exercises I put up here a couple of months ago. Phil

·
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Michael you are very right, it is very frustrating, id love to buy one of those but money's the issue, im still at college, but i'll think about it.
and phil, your advice has been very hepful, i just had a look at your articles.

thanks everyone

Dan

·
878 Posts
Michael Ward said:
Get a Morgan 5 or 6M. You won't regret it. They are the best Meyer type piece around and a real pleasure to play. Bad equipment will frustrate and hold you back. Call Junkdude .
Agreed 100%. I have a Morgan Jazz 6M from Junkdude. The mouthpiece is the best HR I've ever played and the people at Junkdude are wonderful.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Another nice piece is the Jody Jazz HR 6M. I was really surprised when I played one of these and they're fairly inexpensive. Really responsive , nice resistance and just felt right on my V1. Over the years I've tried nearly every modern Meyer based piece and the Morgan and JJ are easily my favourites. They don't come up for sale often SH which speaks volumes. Good luck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Your mouthpiece is likely fine. I play a Meyer, and have found that the Vandoren Java's are quite good, far better the the Rico Jazz Selects I have played.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts