Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"YAMAHA YAS-23 Alto Saxophone VERY CLEAN with Hard Case. See details below"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153155004852?ViewItem=&item=153155004852

Note photo #9, obviously cropped to show only

YAS-23
T01825

In my experience, the "T" prefix serial 23s say "MADE IN CHINA" directly below the serial number. It looks like somebody doesn't want the buyer to see that.

Further down, we see "I have been honest with you, I dont know anything about Saxophones. Please do not waste other people’s time, your own time, and my time if your aim is to buy and return, this is not for you. This is SOLD AS IS, NO RETURNS PLEASE"

Uh-huh.

Actually this has been listed twice; first time here -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YAS...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

I have no great problem with Chinese manufacture as an abstract concept, but would be pretty peeved if somebody tried to slip me a Japanese instrument which isn't, well, Japanese, without me realizing it. I have two Yamaha saxes, a clarinet, and a couple of acoustic guitars, all of which happen to be Japanese made (perhaps because I bought none of them new, and I suspect all were made before Yamaha went "international). And I like to know what I'm buying.

I've bought a few instruments via eBay and haven't been conned yet. Ditto for Craigslist. But I've been able to spot slick operators and steer clear. At least so far.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,427 Posts
I think you are one of those who should not try to use online auctions if you really can't tell that is a Yamaha.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
I have no great problem with Chinese manufacture as an abstract concept, but would be pretty peeved if somebody tried to slip me a Japanese instrument which isn't, well, Japanese, without me realizing it.
I don't see anything deceptive. No mention that it isn't made in China or that it is made in Japan.

However this worries me:

Please bear in mind that you may or may not need a professional evaluation and rehabilitation after buying;

I've never needed to go into rehab after buying a saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
I don't see anything deceptive. No mention that it isn't made in China or that it is made in Japan.
I tend to agree. OP, you state:

I have no great problem with Chinese manufacture as an abstract concept, but would be pretty peeved if somebody tried to slip me a Japanese instrument which isn't, well, Japanese, without me realizing it.
IMHO is it a bit of an extrapolation to take that description and conclude that the seller is trying to 'slip' a prospective buyer a Japanese-made instrument ? as nothing in seller's statement suggests that it's Japanese-made.
Seller's description states he is selling a bona-fide YAS-23. That is all. And that appears to be what the auction horn, in fact, is.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The seller is obviously conscious of the perceived lower value of 'Made in China' YAS-23's, judging by the careful cropping of the serial number picture and lack of disclosure about this in his text.

Although there is nothing contradictory in his description, it's evident he's made an effort to hide this sax's manufacturing origin. He's very aware the oblivious buyer will likely be disappointed, hence the strong 'as-is' disclaimer.

Not a seller I'd do business with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,981 Posts
OK, OK...I suppose I can see that. If these ALL do read China directly under the #, then the pic was intentional. And one can actually state that there is some deception going on here.

However, not sure that is not synonymous with trying to pass of the horn as Japanese made, in my book.

And I do not quite agree that there is a 'lack of disclosure' in the text.
One can argue whether any 'disclosure' is necessary.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
The smart thing would just not to have put the serial number pic at all.

The pic does raise some red flags.

I dont like it but it is not necessarily a reflection on the horn...rather on the seller.

·
Registered
196 Posts
are there even YAS-23's that are made in China? I thought it is just some of the newer models...yas-200 or whatever those are...looks like a normal yas-23 to me.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts