Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still unpacking my shop (....it's funny when you unpack after things have been boxed up for several months...you sorta forget stuff. Like, I found a Baritone I swear I had completely forgotten about.....)

Then.... there's the Boneyard, which actually is more numerous than I had recalled.

SelmerFudd, SOTW member and friend, once asked me "so, really, is any horn repairable ?"....and I answered "yes, pretty much".

Ostensibly.

These fellows, sadly, will see no more playing time....but their body parts are quite handy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,596 Posts
Still unpacking my shop (....it's funny when you unpack after things have been boxed up for several months...you sorta forget stuff. Like, I found a Baritone I swear I had completely forgotten about.....)

Then.... there's the Boneyard, which actually is more numerous than I had recalled.

SelmerFudd, SOTW member and friend, once asked me "so, really, is any horn repairable ?"....and I answered "yes, pretty much".

Ostensibly.

These fellows, sadly, will see no more playing time....but their body parts are quite handy.
Did you forget that $100 you owe me? :)

·
Banned
652 Posts

Ostensibly.

Part them out. Ebay is good for that.

Makes you wonder how many horns were rounded up and scrapped to make brass shells during war times.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If Jaye can't rescue it, it can't be rescued.

·
18,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you forget that $100 you owe me? :)
Naw....it's still packed in one of those boxes.....be patient....

There should be a contest for naming every model in the pic...
There are some puzzlers in there. It'd be impressive if someone could....

If Jaye can't rescue it, it can't be rescued.
Besides road-flattened - rusted/frozen rods... bad bellbrace impactions into the bell...and damaged toneholes....are the three killers for me....
At that point, no, I probably will not put in the effort.....

But, in past lean times, I have actually taken parts horns which I had not pilfered too badly and worked 'em back up. Most looked a bit better than these, tho....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you ever been tempted to create a “Frankenhorn”? And if so, how did it turn out. I’d love to see a Naked-Super 20-VI-Lady.

·
18,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't done that. BUT, a couple of these were purchased with the intention of grafting their pinky tables onto a vintage horn body...which I still intend to get to..... after I take care of the other 25 items on my 'to do' list which take precedent.

And I really do pilfer posts, keys, rods, screws, key saddles, necks, tenons, etc. fairly regularly from 'em....

And I have successfully done things like adding Front F keys/mechs to horns which never had one, grafting on side or palmkeys to horns which were missing either their entire key or the keytouch portion of that key, transplanting bowguards, replacing anachronistic G# round pearl touches with larger metal plate ones, transplanting neck receivers, key rollers, etc....I even once modified and installed an entire octave mechanism on a horn which was missing it's octave key/octave stem assembly (but had its body octave key intact).

Stuff like that....

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I haven't done that. BUT, a couple of these were purchased with the intention of grafting their pinky tables onto a vintage horn body...which I still intend to get to..... after I take care of the other 25 items on my 'to do' list which take precedent.
When you've grafted a Conn 10M pinky table onto a Selmer Mark VI tenor, please let me know ! :badgrin: (I'll buy it — for the right price…)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts