Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loading up for last nights gig, I dropped my sax (in case) about a foot. I didn't think much about it, but when my low notes wouldn't pop without effort, I started wondering if my recently adjusted horn was out of whack again. I could get the notes out but it required a lot of concentration and the whole horn was a bit stuffy. IN the mix it was overly mid-rangey too and my amp was set at normal levels...I tried adjusting my reed, messed with my personal EQ a few times, changed reeds - nothing worked. On the last song of a three hour gig, I reach into my bell for some unknown reason and find my backup neotech stretchy stuffed in the bell - I pull it out and everything came into clear focus - then the gig ended. :( I even remember putting it in there and thinking - "You never do this. Don't forget to take it out when you get there..." Yeech

Even though it was 2:00 AM, I wanted to play another set. I hate it when that happens......

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
LOL!!! I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I've done that.
I quit using Pad Savers in my clarinet and flute because I'd forget to take them out.
Being 'stupid' sure makes you feel... Well, STUPID. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks, Fader. You made me feel better about myself. Most of us have some similar stories of "brain backfires" regarding equipment. Might as well laugh!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
I quit using Pad Savers in my clarinet and flute because I'd forget to take them out.
Yeah, I used to always forget about the one stuffed inside my straight soprano after setting my mouthpiece in place. Then the PFFFT I'd get back when blowing into it would suddenly remind me....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,378 Posts
......I reach into my bell for some unknown reason and find my backup neotech stretchy stuffed in the bell - I pull it out and everything came into clear focus - then the gig ended. :( I even remember putting it in there and thinking - "You never do this. Don't forget to take it out when you get there..." Yeech

[rolleyes]

Thank the good Lord it was you(and not the horn).:twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL!!! I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I've done that.
It was one of those nights....while loading out - the bass player picks up his double bass and when he turned around the headstock whapped me right in the head...it looked like a keystone cops skit. You could hear it too...both embarrassing and painful.... :)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
At least you didn't sound BETTER with the strap in the bell...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
It was one of those nights....while loading out - the bass player picks up his double bass and when he turned around the headstock whapped me right in the head...it looked like a keystone cops skit. You could hear it too...both embarrassing and painful.... :)
I hate to laugh at another man's misfortune, so please take solace in the fact that I am not enjoying this one bit.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA... gasp HAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAHAHAHAAAAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sigh. Man, that was good!!!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Makes me wonder if that stand that fits inside the bell of the soprano sax/clarinet is worth purchasing.[rolleyes]

·
19,215 Posts
The old 'Double Whammy'... Insult AND injury.
Sorry, but I have to giggle twice at your expense. I hope you don't have too big of a goose egg on your head.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
I resemble that remark. You and Grumps both make me feel a little better.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I never fail to fail to remove the pad saver from my soprano. Each and ever time I shove a piece on it and blow before I realize it's incredibly "stuffy". :)

Don't have that problem on the other horns -- you can't put the neck on them with it in place, but the sop gets me every time.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
don't worry...one time on a 2-part gig, on the second part, my band was going to start playing, i grab my backup reeds, my strap, my tunes, my teeth paper, went to the stage, my friends asked "are you ready? let's get started. 1, 2, 1, 2, 3 ,4!" i joined my hands to start playing and didn't felt anything.... i forget my horn!!!!

true story =S

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
A friend of mine is a symphony stage manager. The orchestra was playing a show with the great pianist/comedian Victor Borge.

She was just getting ready to open the door to the shell for him to go on, when Mr. Borge says "My God, I left my instrument in the dressing room!!!"
Without missing a beat my friend the stage manager says, "It's OK Mr. Borge, we have a spare instrument for ready for you on the stage."
To which he replied, "you're good. You're Very Good!" :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
I think the proper reply is "nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!"
I have horns come in not playing with a mouthpiece stuck inside at about B2.

·
19,215 Posts
Are the reeds still on those mouthpieces?
If they are stuck with the tip pointing... You could classify the horn as a 'Saxomonica'.

I know... BAD joke...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,378 Posts
don't worry...one time on a 2-part gig, on the second part, my band was going to start playing, i grab my backup reeds, my strap, my tunes, my teeth paper, went to the stage, my friends asked "are you ready? let's get started. 1, 2, 1, 2, 3 ,4!" i joined my hands to start playing and didn't felt anything.... i forget my horn!!!!

true story =S
What exactly is "teeth paper?"

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
What exactly is "teeth paper?"
maybe i should have written cigar paper..?
i didn't know how you guys call it..
it basically is cigar paper that you put on your bottom teeth so your lip doesn't get cut or in bad shape, after playing for many hours

1 - 20 of 26 Posts