Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sort of see why. But I don't think it's in the best interest of the people to let merchants peddle their goods without any conjecture about the products they are selling.

For instance the mouthpiece maker who has gone back and edited their posts to leave out vital information that they were questioned about. And is now leaving all that information out of their future ads unbeknownst to the people who might consider buying them.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I sort of see why. But I don't think it's in the best interest of the people to let merchants peddle their goods without any conjecture about the products they are selling.

For instance the mouthpiece maker who has gone back and edited their posts to leave out vital information that they were questioned about. And is now leaving all that information out of their future ads unbeknownst to the people who might consider buying them.
I agree.

I dont know the situation regarding monies paid to the forum , or not, by folks in business. ie Do they pay to promote stuff they sell?

If they are paying, I can see how they may not welcome criticism.

On the other hand, the forum is kind of a community, and we should be able to look out for each other. On here, or elsewhere.

Warning each other of dodgy practices by members ( even paying members ) should be allowed. IMHO..............

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
This was a topic I recently approached with the Retro Revival line. They are marketing their pieces as "exact replicas" and it is simply not true. They have significantly altered baffles, facing, and chambers...so they arent anything like the vintage pieces. When I questioned them, they either ignored the question or tried to say I wasnt a good enough player to talk about their mouthpieces.

Keep in mind I dont question how the mouthpieces play.
I have had some and they play fine, but they do not play like the vintage mouthpieces they claim to copy. All that said, that kind of blatant false advertising is not good for the saxophone community.

In addition, they tried to go back and edit posts they already made, in order to try and change what they had said prior without people knowing.

The other part is now they are not having their mouthpieces hand finished by Eric Falcon. They claim there is hand finishing done, but wont say who, so clearly it isnt a well known name that would be a "draw" foe potential customers.

- Saxaholic

*edited to add how mouthpieces differ from vintage originals*

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
Greed, laziness and scumbaggery will infest any undertaking. One thing that irks me, but I stopped commenting on it in light of the request to not comment, is the failure of most sellers now to even post one picture of the item. Its an easy thing to do and it says so much about the item - maybe that's why they don't want to show it. I know, they frequently say 'pictures by request to serious buyers' but if you just post them with the ad you don't have to hassle with it anymore. I did get lucky with one guy who posted a mouthpiece I wanted but it was too high and had no pics. He finally lowered the price to my max so I took it. Turned out the thing was basically new and became my favorite baritone mouthpiece. But I was not hopeful because of the 'no pics' and prepared to go to war if it wasn't right. All that angst is prevented just by posting a picture. In this case, he would have gotten closer to what he originally asked and I wouldn't have a great mouthpiece, but its still the thing to do. I would not even consider insulting you by offering an item without a picture.

·
3,832 Posts
Greed, laziness and scumbaggery will infest any undertaking. One thing that irks me, but I stopped commenting on it in light of the request to not comment, is the failure of most sellers now to even post one picture of the item. Its an easy thing to do and it says so much about the item - maybe that's why they don't want to show it. I know, they frequently say 'pictures by request to serious buyers' but if you just post them with the ad you don't have to hassle with it anymore. I did get lucky with one guy who posted a mouthpiece I wanted but it was too high and had no pics. He finally lowered the price to my max so I took it. Turned out the thing was basically new and became my favorite baritone mouthpiece. But I was not hopeful because of the 'no pics' and prepared to go to war if it wasn't right. All that angst is prevented just by posting a picture. In this case, he would have gotten closer to what he originally asked and I wouldn't have a great mouthpiece, but its still the thing to do. I would not even consider insulting you by offering an item without a picture.
I think some people have issues with how to post pictures on this site; I know for me it has always been hit or miss with the forum. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times it errors out for seemingly no reason. But, overall, I agree, pictures are great and they actually help the seller even more so than the buyer.

I also agree with your first sentence, it's what I experienced with the aforementioned situation with Retro Revival.

- Saxaholic

·
Premium Member
15,494 Posts
Everyone should be able to be part of a conversation if they are being civil. That’s how it’s always been here.

·
3,832 Posts
Plenty of people view the threads, I'm sure they're able to comment. I think the thread just needs to stay civil.

In my experience with Retro Revival, they resorted to name calling and saying "we are better players, so stop talking." So it probably ended up a bit dicey for the Admin and they shut it down.

That thread, and them ignoring questions and their lying about their product, should be well known by members of this forum who consider doing business with them.

- Saxaholic

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
We have a policy of no bickering of prices, off track conversations etc. in For Sale ads. This policy isn't going anywhere because it works well when observed by the membership. The fact is, without these perimeters some just cannot seem to rein it in and behave otherwise.

If out and out fraud is suspected, one can report the ad and discuss their suspicions with the staff privately. Otherwise such inquiries as best price vs. what is asked in the ad, fidelity of the item description etc. can be PMed to the seller rather than cloistered in the ad itself. This is exactly why one is required to have a valid email and PM settings on to qualify for the posting of ads.

As far as Product Announcements from commercial vendors go, we are a little looser with the policy. One is permitted to address concerns and ask the vendor questions that might be considered "noise" in a private For Sale ad. However it must remain civil and in good taste, or intervention becomes necessary in these instances as well. All for the good decorum of the forum as a whole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts