Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new HR 7* on the way in for soprano. One of the best mouthpieces I found for my late Taiwan 'tipped-bell' soprano was a current era Link 7* metal, but when I heard it on a recording I was mortified at the metallic sound. Now, years later, I realize that I didn't know what I had - a mouthpiece that tuned up on a flat-playing soprano and played very well in tune while delivering a powerful low end and easy-playing palms. I think I could have dealt with the tone with a reed/ligature change. So now I have a Chinese tipped-bell that's just as flat but the mouthpiece I've been using just doesn't make it with this horn. So, I ordered a new Link HR. I also have one of those silver-plated Chinese mouthpieces that actually plays fairly well on it so I should be good with one of these or the other.
Some features I need that are addressed by the Chinese mouthpiece: larger shank bore to more easily go on the cork, which is already paper thin, and a longer internal bore with no restriction to be able to get sharp enough to make it work. If the new Link is deficient in either way, it will simply go back without playing as it would be useless to me. At that point I'd probably try another metal Link assuming I can't get the Chinese one tamed to my liking.
I might even decide at some point that the Chinese soprano is simply not good enough, and that might make me break down and finally get a real one.

·
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, guess what? The Link did nothing for me; the Chinese mouthpiece is actually much better. What I need to do now is stop trying mouthpieces and start spending some time on the horn. One thing about the Chinese mouthpiece - it likes cane much better than synthetic, so I guess that's what it will get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, guess what? The Link did nothing for me; the Chinese mouthpiece is actually much better. What I need to do now is stop trying mouthpieces and start spending some time on the horn. One thing about the Chinese mouthpiece - it likes cane much better than synthetic, so I guess that's what it will get.
I do have various chinese mouthpieces for my tenor. Some of them I got to experiment in refacing, just fur fun.
All of them very close, but I read they can guve surprises with a normal opening, so we will see in future, when I will actually will put sandpaper, gauges and measures at work.

I also have a chinese metal I got after seeing review from sirvalorsax. That is much more playable, altough with small tip opening for me, around 6 in otto link scale.
It plays very loud and aggressive and looks very well made but I still lack a reed hard enough for him. I keep it for a future, when I’ll be more satisfied from what I get by my main mouthpiece, a new rubber link 8*.

·
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One important fact I learned from the Chinese manufacturer; their mouthpiece numbering system is on a much smaller scale, so a soprano 6 is perhaps like our 3 or 4. I first got an 8 that played okay but I felt like I needed more, so I ordered a 10. They contacted me with the explanation so I changed it to a 12 which is as far as they go on soprano as far as I know. Just looking at it and playing it, I'd guess its around a .075" which is fairly open for a soprano. Comparing it today to the new Link, it really came through with more power, tone quality and better intonation on this very quirky soprano. At the end of the day, the #12 is my mouthpiece and the Link is already in the return process.
BTW, I do not know of a Chinese mouthpiece facing chart. If it existed, it would be in mm but that's an easy conversion. If they want to sell more mouthpieces over here, they need to show a tip opening chart with their advertisements on ebay. But as it is, you can take several chances at the prices they are now without risking very much.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
One important fact I learned from the Chinese manufacturer; their mouthpiece numbering system is on a much smaller scale, so a soprano 6 is perhaps like our 3 or 4.
Have you ever shopped for clothes in China or Taiwan? An XXXL may just fit a normal US person :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was looking for another mpc for my Barone soprano. I have the Barone vintage 6* which is great but wanted to try a metal without spending a fortune. I bought a Yibuy #7 in brass and can’t believe how good it sounds. Really odd since the inside of the bore is anything but smooth, but it still sounds great. Seems like the #7 is the same size as my #6 Barone. For $29.00 delivered. I think you can only get them from Amazon. Crazy just crazy

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Too open. Try a smaller tip Link.
My favorite soprano mouthpiece is still an S-80D that came with the soprano.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought a Yibuy #7 in brass and can’t believe how good it sounds. Really odd since the inside of the bore is anything but smooth, but it still sounds great. Seems like the #7 is the same size as my #6 Barone. For $29.00 delivered. I think you can only get them from Amazon. Crazy just crazy
I had the very same experience with the Yibuy #7. Sounds great; very responsive, and not edgy like the Rico Metalite— Amazon's other low-end sop mpce. (Plus it looks terrific on my Just Saxes curvy.) Looking inside at the rough edges my first thought was I'd polish it up a bit; after playing it a couple of weeks, I'm afraid to mess with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the very same experience with the Yibuy #7. Sounds great; very responsive, and not edgy like the Rico Metalite— Amazon's other low-end sop mpce. (Plus it looks terrific on my Just Saxes curvy.) Looking inside at the rough edges my first thought was I'd polish it up a bit; after playing it a couple of weeks, I'm afraid to mess with it.
One more thing, I just bought a Rover Dark ligature for the Yibuy, since the metal one is really not great. Big difference to me in the tone, well worth the extra 20 bucks. I will say, I don't even like Rovers much, but in this case, the shoe fits

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Too open. Try a smaller tip Link.
My favorite soprano mouthpiece is still an S-80D that came with the soprano.
Agree. I play open mouthpieces on alto and tenor, and closed ones on sop and bari.

I tried a two large tipped pieces on sop--and RPC that is marked .074 and a barone vintage 8*. I couldn't believe how they 'quacked'! I dialed it back to a barone 6, and am very happy.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I just ordered a Yibuy #7 brass as an inexpensive experiment. I'll do a quick review once it arrives verses my seeming growing mpc collection :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts