Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this piece for a few years now and it's a terrific piece.
Big bold player without sounding like a chainsaw.
I'd put it aside for a while when I was playing a The Martin Baritone as it wasn't a good fit for that one.
It tuned OK when out on the cork a bit, but I really preferred Old School big chamberred pieces on that horn.
Like my old Masterlink and Woodwind Co pieces.
I've started using this one again since getting a MKVI Low Bb baritone a few months back.
It's quite a unique piece that I haven't seen before.
The Blank is made by Norberto and faced by Ted Klum.
Blank looks like an old Dukoff Hollywood in shape, only longer as it's a bari piece.
Not a high baffle, but enough to give it some real volume when needed.
I'm curious if anyone else has one of these or has had one in the past.
Or even if they know anymore about them?
Some photos below.
IMG_5832.JPG IMG_5835.JPG IMG_5834.JPG IMG_5837.JPG IMG_5838.JPG

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bob Ackerman was selling these about 15 years ago. I believe they were lost wax copies of vintage pieces. He had a rubber Link, metal Link and Hollywood Dukoff versions for tenor. I used a rubber Link one for a long time (I wish I still had it!!). It had the TK mark on it with B & N stamped on the top. I recently found one on the bay but unfortunately it was a much different piece. It had the B & N stamp but was faced by "RAC" and has a much slimmer body. Still a nice piece but it wasn't the piece that I was looking for. Yours does look like the Dukoff version but I'm sure there are others here with a lot more information.

·
2,089 Posts
Interesting piece.

I bought a couple of Norberto metal tenor pieces, probably through SOTW (too long ago to remember).

The one based on a Dukoff Hollywood was not signed by TK and had no serial number. It had rings on the shank, but the other way around to you baritone piece: A single ring nearest the end and a double ring nearest the body.

The one based on a Link was signed by TK but I have sold it on and can't remember what the shape of the shank was or whether it had rings. It didn't have a bulge on the body like many metal Links.

Could your baritone piece be based on a Metal Link internally ?

Rhys

·
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting piece.

I bought a couple of Norberto metal tenor pieces, probably through SOTW (too long ago to remember).

The one based on a Dukoff Hollywood was not signed by TK and had no serial number. It had rings on the shank, but the other way around to you baritone piece: A single ring nearest the end and a double ring nearest the body.

The one based on a Link was signed by TK but I have sold it on and can't remember what the shape of the shank was or whether it had rings. It didn't have a bulge on the body like many metal Links.

Could your baritone piece be based on a Metal Link internally ?

Rhys
It could be based on a Link.
It plays like a balsy Link piece.
The chamber seems largish like a Link also.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,922 Posts
At first I was reminded very much of my metal Yani, without the rings, but after looking closer there are major differences. I suppose the chamber is round?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Very interesting ;o)
It does remind a little of older links - but without cut out side walls.
The window looks relatively large, too. Rails and tip are relatively thin.
Together with the straight side walls that reminds me of my MacSax FJIII bari piece - that has more rollover baffle (and more material on the outside).
Would be interested in trying it ;o)
Cheers,
Rudolf

·
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very interesting ;o)
It does remind a little of older links - but without cut out side walls.
The window looks relatively large, too. Rails and tip are relatively thin.
Together with the straight side walls that reminds me of my MacSax FJIII bari piece - that has more rollover baffle (and more material on the outside).
Would be interested in trying it ;o)
Cheers,
Rudolf
I had an FJIII Baritone piece quite a while back.
This piece plays nothing like it.
It’s not as bright as the Macsax piece and it has a lot more body to the sound.
It also has a very nice facing with just a nice resistance to it.
The FJIII was way too free blowing for me which I guess is typical of Eric Falcons work.
Perhaps that’s why I have never liked any of the pieces I had that were faced by him.
This piece also tunes and plays really well on my old Martin Comm III, which can be a little picky on pieces.
I’m keen to pair it with my Conn Tranny when I get the chance as I think it will be a perfect match for it.

·
2,089 Posts
I was reading an old Saxophone Journal magazine this morning, the issue from Sept/Oct 2003, and spotted that it has a half page advert from Progressive Winds. The advert says:

Bob Ackerman announces the new "Lost Wax" Mouthpiece Models

Finally a great playing mouthpiece that's affordable, and we believe as good as the vintage ones. Recent customers include Mike Brecker, David Liebman and Jessie Davis

The advert goes on to list:
  • 50's Small Chamber Soprano (resin) like Trane's piece ($200 + S&H)
  • 50's Medium Chamber Alto (resin) Phil Woods & most others have tried to use ($200 + S&H)
  • 60's Small Chamber Alto (resin) similar to the above model but will play louder ($200 + S&H)
  • 40s Medium Chamber Tenor (Dexter played this model) ($325 + S&H)
  • 60's Medium Large Chamber Resin Tenor - Stan Getz & many others have used this model ($200 + S&H)
  • 60's Medium Large Chamber Tenor (Lost Wax Copy) almost everyone in jazz has used this model ($325 + S&H)
  • 60s Medium Large Bari (brass) Gary Smulyan plays an original in this model. ($375 + S&H)

According to this old SOTW thread https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?57430 Gary Smulyan played a Link STM at about the time of that advert, so it seems clear that the mouthpiece you have is one of the Bob Ackerman copies of a Link STM from the 60s.

Rhys

·
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was reading an old Saxophone Journal magazine this morning, the issue from Sept/Oct 2003, and spotted that it has a half page advert from Progressive Winds. The advert says:

Bob Ackerman announces the new "Lost Wax" Mouthpiece Models

Finally a great playing mouthpiece that's affordable, and we believe as good as the vintage ones. Recent customers include Mike Brecker, David Liebman and Jessie Davis

The advert goes on to list:
  • 50's Small Chamber Soprano (resin) like Trane's piece ($200 + S&H)
  • 50's Medium Chamber Alto (resin) Phil Woods & most others have tried to use ($200 + S&H)
  • 60's Small Chamber Alto (resin) similar to the above model but will play louder ($200 + S&H)
  • 40s Medium Chamber Tenor (Dexter played this model) ($325 + S&H)
  • 60's Medium Large Chamber Resin Tenor - Stan Getz & many others have used this model ($200 + S&H)
  • 60's Medium Large Chamber Tenor (Lost Wax Copy) almost everyone in jazz has used this model ($325 + S&H)
  • 60s Medium Large Bari (brass) Gary Smulyan plays an original in this model. ($375 + S&H)

According to this old SOTW thread https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?57430 Gary Smulyan played a Link STM at about the time of that advert, so it seems clear that the mouthpiece you have is one of the Bob Ackerman copies of a Link STM from the 60s.

Rhys
Thanks Rhys.
Sounds about right.
I remember now that Sebastian Knox said something about how it is likely a Bob Ackerman piece, but I always thought they were all Hard Rubber pieces.
It seems they weren’t.
It’s is certainly based on a Link STM and plays like one also, but with more power.
The lack of hollowed out side rails made me think otherwise for a while.
I have a number of 60’s Link STM Baritone pieces, both no USA and USA models.
It’s similar to a no USA 5* with serial number I have that has been opened to .115.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts