Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get another Berg for it, but I'm not sure if the "Tenor Duckbill, Bullet or Vintage S/Steel" option on the Berg site will actually fit. Seems like it will, but $40 (shipping, etc) is a bit much to risk. Any suggestions?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,195 Posts
"Non-cloth" lig? Does anyone make a ligature out of cloth?! I've heard of using thread or a rubber band, but never cloth...just curious.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
"Non-cloth" lig? Does anyone make a ligature out of cloth?! I've heard of using thread or a rubber band, but never cloth...just curious.
He's probably referring to a Rover-type ligature like the Rovner DARK.

·
23,195 Posts
Yeah, that occurred to me after I posted. The Rovner 'Versa' has a metal plate to hold the reed, though. It's a very good lig that will fit a variety of mpcs, so I wouldn't discount it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct.

It's funny, after reading you guys' replies, I realized that I doubt I know what "cloth" really is. Just like I didn't know that there was a diff between a sofa and a couch. For all I know, "cloth" might be an actual 'thing' rather than a generic 'thing' in the way that I throw it around. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Possibly a Yanigasawa lig (metal tenor) or a Selmer 402. The Berg 'fat body' drop off baffle pieces are larger in diameter than the 'bullet chamber' ones-so either of the fore mentioned should fit. I've found metal Bergs respond better with a metal lig but, that is entirely subjective -as are most things to do with saxophony!

·
23,195 Posts
It's funny, after reading you guys' replies, I realized that I doubt I know what "cloth" really is. Just like I didn't know that there was a diff between a sofa and a couch. For all I know, "cloth" might be an actual 'thing' rather than a generic 'thing' in the way that I throw it around. :)
Here you go. Cloth: Woven or felted fabric made from wool, cotton, or a similar fiber.

I guess under that definition a Rovner lig could be called 'cloth', in that it appears to be woven, but it's a rubberized fabric of some sort, not very similar to wool or cotton.

Anyway, regardless of what you call it, not all Rovners are the same. As I said, the Versa has a metal plate and does as good a job as any other lig that fits properly on a mpc. I only mention it because seems to fit a wider variety of mpcs than most other ligs, probably because the flexible portion is flexible enough to conform to various shapes. So if you're having trouble finding a lig to fit on a given mpc, the Rovner is a good option to try. And the metal plate on a Versa holds the reed very firmly to the mpc table, which is what a lig is meant to do.

But I have seen two-screw metal ligs on Bergs, so no doubt you can find one to fit that would do the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts