Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a search but wasn't having any luck. Anyone here using one for sax recording? I just ordered an Audient ID22 interface, and everyone is saying "get a ribbon mic" to record sax. For now, I have an AKG C214 condenser and am borrowing a Royer R122 ($$$$) ribbon mic, but I won't be able to keep that one indefinitely. I've read (and heard clips) about the NoHype ribbon mics and they sound good, especially considering I can get one with shipping at just over $200...

Any experience or advice?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I tried doing a search but wasn't having any luck. Anyone here using one for sax recording? I just ordered an Audient ID22 interface, and everyone is saying "get a ribbon mic" to record sax. For now, I have an AKG C214 condenser and am borrowing a Royer R122 ($$$$) ribbon mic, but I won't be able to keep that one indefinitely. I've read (and heard clips) about the NoHype ribbon mics and they sound good, especially considering I can get one with shipping at just over $200...

Any experience or advice?
Had one before and it was pretty good for the price. Edit: it was pretty good, period. It didn't quite have the same tonal clarity as my R122 and Coles 4038 and I ended up selling it (also sold the R122, which I partially regret up to now). Again, for the price you pay (1/4 of what you would pay for a used R122/Coles 4038), it's a great buy. Also, JP provides excellent customer service.

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had one before and it was pretty good for the price. Edit: it was pretty good, period. It didn't quite have the same tonal clarity as my R122 and Coles 4038 and I ended up selling it (also sold the R122, which I partially regret up to now). Again, for the price you pay (1/4 of what you would pay for a used R122/Coles 4038), it's a great buy. Also, JP provides excellent customer service.
Thanks. My main concern is that I've always read that ribbon mics (good ones) aren't cheap, so seeing one with good reviews for $200 has been interesting. Other option I was looking at is the SE Electronics Voodoo ($399)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Thanks. My main concern is that I've always read that ribbon mics (good ones) aren't cheap, so seeing one with good reviews for $200 has been interesting. Other option I was looking at is the SE Electronics Voodoo ($399)
You can get a used R101 for around $400 (I also had one of those before) but they're not as good on horns (more suitable for strings). I don't have any experience with the Voodoo. I think if you're going to use a ribbon to mic your horn, you can't do any better than a Coles 4038 (mine was a slightly used one that I got for $800) with the R121 and R122 also ranking up there (those go for at least $900 or so used). The advantage of the R122 is that you get to ramp up the gain since it's phantom-powered (which is unique for a ribbon mic) and ribbons need a lot of gain.

You can't go wrong with the No-Hype either -- you just get a bit more refinement/clarity with the more expensive mics. I'd like to clarify that I've only had the LRM-2 and not the LRM-V, which just came out last month.

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can get a used R101 for around $400 (I also had one of those before) but they're not as good on horns (more suitable for strings). I don't have any experience with the Voodoo. I think if you're going to use a ribbon to mic your horn, you can't do any better than a Coles 4038 (mine was a slightly used one that I got for $800) with the R121 and R122 also ranking up there (those go for at least $900 or so used). The advantage of the R122 is that you get to ramp up the gain since it's phantom-powered (which is unique for a ribbon mic) and ribbons need a lot of gain.

You can't go wrong with the No-Hype either -- you just get a bit more refinement/clarity with the more expensive mics. I'd like to clarify that I've only had the LRM-2 and not the LRM-V, which just came out last month.
Thanks... I messaged NoHype and he did suggest the LRM-V... I didn't even know there was something newer than the 2 out. For the money, I am pretty sure I won't be able to do better unless I decide to save up and spend around $1k.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Royer has a newer ribbon mic (R10) for around $500. I use a pair of them for piano and they sound excellent. Have not tried recording sax with them as my piano is at home and I play and record my saxes in my studio a few miles away.

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Royer has a newer ribbon mic (R10) for around $500. I use a pair of them for piano and they sound excellent. Have not tried recording sax with them as my piano is at home and I play and record my saxes in my studio a few miles away.
Thanks, I have seen the R10 name thrown around but haven't investigated. I will check it out, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts