Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a Noblet soprano sax on ebay that I purchased. Got it today. What a beautiful tone! It needs more work than advertised, and it lacks an aux F. The serial number was listed wrongly too, but I'd suspected that. It's a 14xxx. I'm eating my heart out a little because now that I have it in person I think this Noblet soprano is in better condition and will probably go for what I paid ($800): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vito-LeBlan...452025?hash=item25b91ca479:g:-2AAAOSwQYZW0e5W

It's pretty much the same horn otherwise. It looks like it also lacks an aux F. Ah well, I gambled on the more experienced seller with better feedback and a recording of the sax.

Anyone currently playing one of these? If so, do you have mouthpiece and/or altissimo suggestions?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I keep a Beaugnier soprano registry. I’ll correct the S/N. 144xx makes the design jibe better with S/N.

I have an Courtois (Face)-model alto from the 9000s range. I really like it, and that is considering that Alto is my last choice of sax voices.

If my GAS fund had not been recently drained, I would have tried to buy the sax you bought. If for no other reason than to have a pair of Noblets.

I hope that sax sets up great for you and that you really enjoy it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little update for future Beaugnier or Noblet soprano sax fans. Joe sent me a Soprano Planet Open Sky 2 mouthpiece, and the horn is playing really well now. For the first time, I feel like I have more of a choice in developing a soprano sax embouchure. I've always had to play sop with a tight embouchure with the mouthpiece pushed in, and the OS2 is letting me play much more loosely while experimenting with different mpc positions. The Noblet also has become fuller with the OS2. I'm really glad I didn't give up on it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another update for Beaugnier fans. I own a soprano, 2 altos and a baritone. It took me a lot of time to find the right mouthpieces for them (I tried at least 12). It appears that vintage Buffet Crampon mouthpieces fit perfectly both alto (with rico royal 3 reeds) and soprano (marca jazz 3 reeds). I couldn't find one for my baritone so I use a graftonite or runyon smooth bore but I'm not completely satisfied with them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It can be a long journey to find the right mouthpieces! They are such fabulous horns aren't they!
Another update for Beaugnier fans. I own a soprano, 2 altos and a baritone. It took me a lot of time to find the right mouthpieces for them (I tried at least 12). It appears that vintage Buffet Crampon mouthpieces fit perfectly both alto (with rico royal 3 reeds) and soprano (marca jazz 3 reeds). I couldn't find one for my baritone so I use a graftonite or runyon smooth bore but I'm not completely satisfied with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts