Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, clarinet dudes!

Anyway, I bought a nice Noblet Bb clarinet on ebay. On previous B&H instruments I have had the barrel shortened (to approx 62mm). Now what I'm wondering is: assuming the barrel that comes with the instrument is unshortened, and assuming I play flat with it at c. 65mm, am I better having the Noblet barrel shortened or should I buy (say) a Leblanc barrel of 62/63 expecting that that would work as well or better?

Hope that made sense.

Any help appreciated.

·
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great, thank you. Does Steve not come here any more? I saw he was involved in some of the Noblet threads I researched.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
i normally tell people to save the original barrel and buy a 2nd and have it adjusted.

barrel-wise, the noblet is probably a larger bore than alot of the general Leblanc barrels out there.
First, I would recommend getting another noblet barrel as i've seen them from time to time on eBay.

But if it needs shortening then it may be good just to buy a leblanc barrel. The only issue is that you don't know if you are getting a small bore up to a large bore barrel.
I've bought a few eBay unknown model Leblanc barrels and i have yet to get one from a Dynamic model - which is good because they can be reamed out to match alot of instruments.

·
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Steve.

So might my best bet might be to take the barrel to a large shop (eg Howarth's, London) and find a barrel there that matches the bore of the noblet?

I don't really want to shorten the original barrel if i can avoid it. Going by info on this page http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories-clarinet-barrels.html there seem to be a lot of barrel options available. The only reason I mentioned leblanc was because I had read a review somewhere claiming that leblanc and noblet clarinets were similar. I have absolutely no idea if that is true or not.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
Thanks Steve.

So might my best bet might be to take the barrel to a large shop (eg Howarth's, London) and find a barrel there that matches the bore of the noblet?

I don't really want to shorten the original barrel if i can avoid it. Going by info on this page http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories-clarinet-barrels.html there seem to be a lot of barrel options available. The only reason I mentioned leblanc was because I had read a review somewhere claiming that leblanc and noblet clarinets were similar. I have absolutely no idea if that is true or not.
Yes, Howarths should have something to fit it otherwise I'm sure they could ream the bore a bit to make it match. Just bring your original barrel for their reference.

Leblanc has made so many various bore sized clarinets over the years that one gambles one buying via eBay, etc. I have a page on the web that shows the clarinets bore size which may include the top part. I also have a spreadsheet where i also keep track of barrels - top of bore, bottom of bore, depth & width of sockets, barrel length, etc. loads of fun :)

But a Normandy probably is a close if not exact match to the Noblets, and normally cheaper too.

·
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Steve. Much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts