Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backed by a wonderful band (Frank Kimbrough, John Herbert and Matt Wilson) Noah gave a somewhat frustrating performance. He has wonderful chops and spent most of the set doing blistering renditions of Chris Potter or Mark Turner licks. Meh. But then every so often he would interject a bit of original phrasing and lyricism, particularly on a wonderful version of "Nancy with the laughing face", that made me think after he had gone through his more chops than taste phase he may turn into a pretty decent player.

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep hearing people say he has taste but he didn't show much of it that night. I remain hopeful...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
He is still young and not bad as a player now and i do hear a lot of Joe Lovano more than anything else so having these roots will help him on his journey. yomv..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I keep hearing people say he has taste but he didn't show much of it that night. I remain hopeful...
your opinion notwithstanding, the video posted above and many more like it as well as preminger's performances around nyc speak for themselves. but i am glad that you're sanguine, at least.

·
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When i review a show i am doing just that. i am describing my impression of one nights performance. Given his reputation and the press his recent disk got I was expecting a lot. History is nice but it wasn't there playing that night. Noah was and he was for the most part playing other peoples licks in a less than convincing fashion. He did a drop dead gorgeous version of "Nancy..." and for that i give him credit, for a young guy to play so nicely on a ballad is a really wonderful thing. i'm sure other nights he was just amazing. And maybe you would have liked the show i saw. And your opinion is just as valid as mine is and vice versa. Which is ok too.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Beautiful playing on the piano, it takes all the music to a completely different level!

·
Registered
783 Posts
...spent most of the set doing blistering renditions of Chris Potter or Mark Turner licks. Meh.
...he was for the most part playing other peoples licks in a less than convincing fashion.
I've known Noah for several years and find this very difficult to believe. I'm not sure I've heard many saxophonists of any age that play with the maturity he does at 25 years old.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts