Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,507 Posts
Pedro: I suspect it just may an undeveloped embouchure. I use a Selmer S-80 C* on my altos (with a synthetic Fibracell Premiere 1 1/2 reed, which for me was the key to success with this mouthpiece) and I get all the volume I want out of it. With cane reeds on that same mouthpiece, not so much.

But everyone is built differently and as a result, each person obtains different results from different equipment and instruments. As far as changing to a C**, that will not result in a significant tip-opening difference, in my opinion. There are mouthpiece charts on the Internet and if you look at one you can tell that the difference between a * and a ** is not that much. I don't know about the Vandoren line, but a place to start is to check it on the tip-opening charts to see how much different it may be from a C*. Of course, there are other factors that make some pieces play better for you than others, but that's up to you to find out - we sure can't tell you that.

Lastly, I am a soft-reed guy; maybe you could benefit from going down in strength - or switching brands and cuts. Reed experiments may be cheaper and easier than getting into the mouthpiece hunt. DAVE

1 - 1 of 1 Posts