Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I just got home from a gig I played on my tenor. Between sets our sound engineer changed batteries of my Mic. But afterwards I couldn't get any notes out of it. Just very out of tune or some high squeaks. Does anyone has any idea what this can be?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
A spring off one of the keys near the top of the instrument? A high F upper post knocked out of alignment?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maybe Octave mechanism bent. When you say upper C do you mean the upper register is ok but nothing in the lower register?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
either octave key bend out of shape (as davidh suggests) (happens oftten when people grab the neck to turn it) or the neck is turned in such a position that the top octave remains (slightly or massively ) open.

It happens often to people with “ selmer-like” horn designs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually it's every c. It's like everything you need to press a key for will not sound like the right note or will just squeak.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
check the top octave key and the side octave key

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Actually it's every c. It's like everything you need to press a key for will not sound like the right note or will just squeak.
So the problem is not the octave mechanism.

Have you yet looked yet for a missing pad near the top of the instrument, or a key bend that has made a pad not align and seal with a tone hole, or a spring missing/dislodged/broken such that a normally closed key is not closing? All of these near the top of the instrument.
Or on the key next above the first-finger B key clearly not fully closing when A and B keys are pressed?

Feedback would be helpful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
If no notes are coming out, then a spring has been dislodged example the spring on your f# or e key, or a key has been bent during the mic work, it’s not hard to bend any of the palms. If a pad has fallen out, then you really need to have the instrument serviced or repadded.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts