Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been playing Legere reeds for a bit on alto but yesterday I had a gig and just wasn't feelin' it. So I decided to switch back to my trusty LaVoz MS - Seems I didn't have any at home. I have Soft and Medium but no MS. So in a somewhat panic fashion I head to the overpriced Music Stores. I went to 2 places and neither had LaVoz MS reeds. Vandoren in every possible color - with Z without Z. Rico Royals out the wazoo but only LaVoz Medium.

I purchase some Rico Royals and the sample thing from Vandoren. Both extremely overpriced but I needed something. After 30 minutes messing with reeds, I went ahead and place the Legere.

PS: It's also strange explaining to music store people that I am in fact a professional level saxophonist but do not play #10 reeds.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,576 Posts
So...you tried to buy reeds in an uncommon size in a brick and mortar store the day of a gig and were surprised they couldn’t accommodate? Your title sets up an anti-Lavoz rant and your post is just complaining about creating unneeded stress pre-gig.

·
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really a rant - Both places only had one size and only for Alto - yet for Vandoren - every size, color, and instrument. It seems that LaVoz has been phased out in this area. Not a big deal just an observation.

Medium Soft is about a 2 1/2 which seems pretty common but apparently not.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Medium Soft is about a 2 1/2 which seems pretty common but apparently not.
Did the stores confirm that they don't carry LaVoz MS? If not, perhaps they were just sold out of that strength. Sometimes, what's left on the shelf is in fact the less popular option.

·
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the stores confirm that they don't carry LaVoz MS? If not, perhaps they were just sold out of that strength. Sometimes, what's left on the shelf is in fact the less popular option.
Both places said they don’t get many request for LaVoz - I usually order online so I’m out of the loop locally.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I can't even find Mitchel Lurie or other D'Addario products besides basic Rico at my local large chain music store. There are tons of Vandoren stuff I would never buy. I have to buy from the large on-line music store.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It is funny you say no love for La Voz because don't they say something like, "The World's Most Popular Reed" on the box or something like that?

Anyway I've been using them off and on since I started playing in 1996. I tend to always come back to them, though admittedly I really haven't played them much since the D'addario takeover. I still have a number of old stock boxes I'm going through.

Also yes, Medium Soft is a pretty common strength for La Voz as well.

I suspect if your stores are anything like they are here, they only stock what the band directors tell them too.

Also I wonder if D'addario is trying to push the other brands more than La Voz, I know it really seems that way with Hemke. Also those are the two brands that haven't been converted over to the _____ by D'addario moniker.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,576 Posts
I clicked on this all ready to say how much I disliked LaVoz reeds.
Now I’ve got nothing to whinge about.
:) I was digging LaVoz reeds for a while, but now they seem to have two different cuts and one plays dull. The good ones play way dark for me now...still very vibrant, but super dark. I hate new reed searches.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I just find them to have too much buzz.
I played them for a while on Bari and loved them, but now I just can’t seem to gel with them.
Strangely I now prefer Legere classic on baritone or good old rico royals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts