Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something better than craigslist for searching for gigs and/or bands looking for sax? I'm in the D.C. area...

·
2,309 Posts
Get out and go see some of the groups playing in the area, forget craigslist that can't be a very good source. There are allot of fine players in that area.

At the beginning of this year the owner of Jo Jo's told me he was having a hard time getting real jazz groups, I had to turn down several additional dates he wanted because of a full schedule already.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Atlanta has several location specific web-sites for musicians. There is also a local paper called the "Creative Loafing" that has musician ads. Look for something similar in your area.

I have heard that open mic events are great ways to network. I haven't actually been to one, but I run one about every six weeks. I have networked a bunch of contacts as a result of people signing up for those. I also had a sax player show up to one of them and he actually worked up some stuff in the parking lot with another player and they did a duo. The venue has since hired him a couple of times with a pianist I didn't recognize. Some music stores also have bulletin boards where people search out players.

Good luck!

·
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joined the Union once. Back in the late '80's, I got into jazz/fusion guitarist Tony Palkovic's band - he had us join the union and we rehearsed at the union hall down at Hollywood & Vine. Then Tony started to run out of money, so we rehearsed in my garage in San Dimas. Then Tony fired us all after a few months of that. I ended up in a blues/rock/variety bar band playing 5 nights a week, nothing to do with the Union.

·
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
..then there was the mid-90's in/around Detroit - so many live blues venues that you could just throw a band together and be gigging every weekend.

Maybe I'm just getting to old for this - not hungry enough to drive over 20, maybe 30 minutes for not-a-sure-thing...

·
6,086 Posts
..Maybe I'm just getting to old for this - not hungry enough to drive over 20, maybe 30 minutes for not-a-sure-thing...
You live in the DC area? EVERYTHING is more than a 30 minute drive there. I lived up there for 5 years. It makes ATL traffic seem like a walk in the park.

·
Banned
2,793 Posts
Get together with a guitarist or keyboardist, make a demo, and hit every restaurant, lounge, coffee shop within 50 miles. Make your own gigs happen.

·
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get together with a guitarist or keyboardist, make a demo, and hit every restaurant, lounge, coffee shop within 50 miles. Make your own gigs happen.
Yeah, in the back of my mind, I know that's what it's going to take, but I've been avoiding trying to put a band together - trying to decide if I have that much energy, much easier to sit in front of the computer and complain!

·
Banned
2,793 Posts
Yeah, in the back of my mind, I know that's what it's going to take, but I've been avoiding trying to put a band together - trying to decide if I have that much energy, much easier to sit in front of the computer and complain!
Having your own band will give you even more to complain about.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,481 Posts
Get out and go see some of the groups playing in the area, forget craigslist that can't be a very good source. There are allot of fine players in that area.

At the beginning of this year the owner of Jo Jo's told me he was having a hard time getting real jazz groups, I had to turn down several additional dates he wanted because of a full schedule already.
Exactly Randy. There is absolutely no better way of finding like-minded musicians.

B

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Go to a Blues Jam, wait in line for one hour while hearing the same guitar licks played by 50-year old men on Stratocasters plugged into Hot Rod Deville amps, get your turn to solo over the 42nd iteration of a 12-bar blues, and then hang around and listen to the same guitar licks you heard while you were waiting to play. When you just can't handle it anymore, go into the alley and shoot yourself. No gigs....no problems.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
Is there something better than craigslist for searching for gigs and/or bands looking for sax? I'm in the D.C. area...
For sure, just about anything would be better than craigslist for this. Forget the "open mics," though; go to a jam instead. :)

Yofis has a point, but blues jams aren't ALL as he describes. Most of them are, but sometimes you get lucky and find a good one or at least a good night. The bottom line is to get out, meet other players, and see if you can put something together.

·
2,309 Posts
...jack,
Looking here again I see that you didn't specifically state jazz groups and I really don't know about blues or rock in the DC area. But another idea is check in with some musicians from the higher education facilities in the DC area (i.e. professors or artists in residence) When I'm home in Nashville every so often I play with a "loose knit group" mostly from Belmont University, the caliber is high, (Bruce Dudley, Jeffery Kirk and Chester Thompson...) man there are great musicians everywhere.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,481 Posts
Go to a Blues Jam, wait in line for one hour while hearing the same guitar licks played by 50-year old men on Stratocasters plugged into Hot Rod Deville amps, get your turn to solo over the 42nd iteration of a 12-bar blues, and then hang around and listen to the same guitar licks you heard while you were waiting to play. When you just can't handle it anymore, go into the alley and shoot yourself. No gigs....no problems.
Exactly how I feel about jams. Jams are a waste of time. Sit there waiting to be called to play 8 bars while getting sick from the 2 packs of smokes from 2nd hand inhalation. No thanks.

If I don't get paid or the musician level is not professional I don't leave the studio or house, unless it is to see someone as good or better than say, Joshua Redman or Charlie Hunter.

Half of being a professional is the ability to network and have good communication skills as well as seasoned chops to back up what you say you can and will do.

B

·
6,086 Posts
Craigs List has helped me get many paying gigs. Quite a number of short term gigs, and a couple that are still providing off and on work many months later.

I have finally figured out how to avoid "practice bands" too....

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,481 Posts

·
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't really consider myself to be a 'guitarist', but I'm better than the guitar player in every 'forming' band I've checked out lately.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
Exactly how I feel about jams. Jams are a waste of time. Sit there waiting to be called to play 8 bars while getting sick from the 2 packs of smokes from 2nd hand inhalation. No thanks.
It's been years since I had to inhale any cigarette smoke in the bars around here (California). When is the rest of the nation going to get out of the stone age and catch up on this issue? I probably wouldn't be playing gigs if I had to breath all that smoke and come home smelling like a chimney!

But your point about jams is well taken. It really depends on where you're at musically and how experienced you are. Someone trying to get started and wanting to meet other musicians can get some benefit out of a jam, depending on where they are and the nature of the jam session.

If you're a good player AND well-connected, you can probably get some pickup gigs as a sax player. Otherwise, you really have to start your own band, or join a band that wants a sax, to get many gigs. Of course you have to be a reasonably good player in any case, but unfortunately that's not enough. Even with your own band, you have to hustle, promote yourself, and come through on the gigs you do get, to keep those gigs coming in.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,481 Posts
Even with your own band, you have to hustle, promote yourself, and come through on the gigs you do get, to keep those gigs coming in.

JL has hit the nail on the head here. The only person who can make it happen is yourself. You must strive to be the best player you can be, be flexible and most of all be reliable. You must network and be willing to do almost everything humanly possible to meet other musicians, and people who own and operate venues.

I am out 4-5 days or nights a week either making new contacts, working through various social networking sites (Craig's List, Bandmix, Emailing, Facebook), and cold calling potential places to play when not rehearsing/playing with the 3 bands I am in.

Being a musician is not hard if you only play in the studio at home. The real "fun" begins when you desire to play in front on an audience and expect to get paid for it.

B

1 - 20 of 25 Posts