Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m using a school loaned soprano and it doesn’t have a front F. How would I finger altissimo notes without it?

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Just reach down with the second knuckle of your left hand ring finger and depress the F side key.

Sometimes the side high E key will stand in instead and be easier to finger. High E fingers easily as G# plus the side E on every sax I own. Getting high F, F# and G will require some experimentation. For me at least, from G# on up I don't use the front F any more.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,361 Posts
Altissimo on a soprano sax?! Just go buy a dog whistle and be done with it. :) sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,705 Posts
Oh, I don't know. For what I do with soprano these days (New Orleans style brass band), getting up to A3 can be a nice effect. And I play vintage sopranos; one of which one is only keyed to EB3 and neither have a front F.

What I do for F#3 is hold down octave, LH 1 2 3, RH 1 and side Bb. To get G I add side C, and can lip it up to G# if need be. A don't use a front F for A3, but the standard octave, LH 2 3, RH 1 2 3.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,336 Posts
very normal on lots of older soprano sopranos made, at least, until the ’70.

Never seen a soprano without a front F that would have a side high F# key , it would make no sense! At the time when this horn was made there were very few sopranos which got to high F#!

Some earlier models even stopped to high Eb! In fact Yanagisawa sopraninos still get to only high Eb ( which I suppose some of the members whom commented above will find plenty and I am not saying that I disagree!)

Overtones exercises are also a good way to do this.

See this old video, towards the end of the first video Karin Rasher ( a child then) demonstrates overtones on a buesher soprano ( which may have had an high F but it is not relevant for the overtones series)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Never seen a soprano without a front F that would have a side high F# key , it would make no sense!
My Yanagisawa S-800 is keyed to high f# but does not have front f.
There a few moments, where I'd like to have a front f (Villa Lobos Fantasie f.e.) but I could fake it with opening the f palm key.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,336 Posts
I have played Yanagisawas but I can’t remember if they were like you say. I don’t doubt it. I have had for sure later versions which did have both keys.

I always thought that the development of the front F was essential to the use of the F# in order to simplify the action to produce a good and clear note without using many keys.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If I recall right, the Yanagisawa S-6 and S-800 models had a high f# key but no front f. I think this is also true for the Selmer Mark VI soprano. Yamaha introduced the front f with the YSS 62, which was implemented at the Yana horns with the S-880 and later (S-990 ?) expanded to high g.

·
Banned
8,205 Posts
Just reach down with the second knuckle of your left hand ring finger and depress the F side key.

Sometimes the side high E key will stand in instead and be easier to finger. High E fingers easily as G# plus the side E on every sax I own. Getting high F, F# and G will require some experimentation. For me at least, from G# on up I don't use the front F any more.
It actually works better than having an F fork key. I don’t use a neck strap so you still have a good grip on the sax.
You can get an Oleg High F attachment if you want to shell out a couple of hundred bucks for the little dongle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts