1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Too bad they're not actually playing what the soundtrack is.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Big 10M sound.

·
7,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they’re lip-synching to a pre-recorded track but it is Nino playing the horn.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Beautiful, watching that was a great way to start my day...I wonder if Leo P has seem this...lol

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Yes they’re lip-synching to a pre-recorded track but it is Nino playing the horn.
The recording is excellent - fabulous playing. But seeing as they are merely acting in the clip diminishes my excitement immediately.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Nino's a fantastic player..He fooled me first time I heard him on record..For a NY minute I thought it was Getz (until he played a lick Stan never played). My ears perked after that, he has many good YouTube vids. He is the real deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,615 Posts
Big 10M sound.
The sound is the result of his white plastic mouthpiece, proving once again that a $7 mouthpiece from the back of the junk drawer is superior to a metal STM. White plastic is also less likely to break all of your front teeth should you need to go acrobatic during a solo.

Mark

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The sound is the result of his white plastic mouthpiece, proving once again that a $7 mouthpiece from the back of the junk drawer is superior to a metal STM. White plastic is also less likely to break all of your front teeth should you need to go acrobatic during a solo.

Mark
:lol:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
It's quite rare to see performers actually playing in any movie. The only exceptions I know of is one number in Funny Girl. The other is the recent Les Miserables. That includes some features of big bands.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,186 Posts
It's quite rare to see performers actually playing in any movie. The only exceptions I know of is one number in Funny Girl. The other is the recent Les Miserables. That includes some features of big bands.
Another example is in the Antonio Banderas feature "Two Much".

The movie itself is a very cheesy rom-com, but the last scene features a full 5-minute (or so) sequence of Michel Camilo's band playing his tune "Caribe".
The band itself is outstanding and, alongside Camilo, features Paquito D'Rivera, Horatio Hernandez, and a bunch of other heavy hitters.

I saw it in the theater in 1996 as a matinee on a weekend where it was the only movie showing in the post theater. That clip alone was worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,186 Posts
I forget that we now live in the YouTube era. Here's the clip from that last scene:

Just incredible!

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,919 Posts
Excellent!

I might have to watch the entire movie, maybe. James Genus, Lew Soloff, Gary Smulyan, are just a few credited, plus Paquito etc. Cachao has his fingers taped!

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
That clip of Nino made my day..just a great scene synch'd or not. No way to get good audio without a dub anyway. Where do we see the whole film ?

·
7,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whew! That was fun

I forget that we now live in the YouTube era. Here's the clip from that last scene:

Just incredible!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts