Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in time for your spooky celebrations, I have posted the completed (reference recording, score and all parts, and Encore 4.5 files) Night on Bald Mountain, scored for six saxophones (sopranino to bass) and two percussionists. You can get the reference recording here, or everything (including the recording) here.

The sopranino part tops out at high F#/Gb, and I changed many of the scale-wise grace note approaches to this high note into arpeggio approaches, to make it much easier to reach. Eb clarinet may be subbed for this part if sopranino is not available, but there is no other compelling reason to make this substitution. The other parts (except the bass sax) are also expected to reach up to but not beyond high F#. As with the other pieces, a low A is not required on the bari part (unlike my quartets and trios, where low A is a necessity). Due to some exceptionally ugly key signatures throughout the piece which in turn necessitated the use of double flats and/or double sharps, I have opted to write the parts with no key signature at all. The score is transposed.

This is considerably easier than Pictures At An Exhibition, though it's much more 'dense', lacking much in the way of rest time in any part. It's pretty much a continuous eleven-minute blow. It's much easier than The Planets, both because of range and because of a lack of extended technique (no altissimo, no superhuman circular-breathing demands). That doesn't mean it's easy, just that it's not exceptionally difficult.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What else I have going.

I've added another arrangement, but it doesn't quite fit here.

March to the Scaffold, from Symphony Fantastique (Berlioz).

Arranged for low-budget wind ensemble (a deliberate reference to Frank Zappa's "low-budget orchestra"). Instrumentation is five saxophones (my usual line-up, minus the bass), brass quintet (both trumpets are plain Bb), and three percussionists. Bass sax was neither required (I had a tuba), nor helpful (lots of low concert G that it can't reach).

I have hooked up with another game project, and this one was done for their needs, but also because I like it. Since they get priority, it may be a while before I get around to making a score and parts.

Also done for their use, Komm, süßer Tod, komm selge Ruh (J. S. Bach). Brass quintet (1st trumpet is picc), no 'extras'. Also distinctly not in equal temperament, which is why the chords 'ring' the way they do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts