·
Registered
vi tenor 95xxx, vi alto 184xxx, yamaha yss-62, the martin baritone
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
15,494 Posts
I had 2 nickel plated 10M’s. One I used for many years. It was fantastic!
Haven’t had one in a 30M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Take along a cloth with some silver polish, and see how easily it shines up a spot. It is tough to tell from those images, but I could believe that it is well-tarnished silver plate.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
It looks like it might be bright silver rather than nickel, but it could be nickel too. I don't know how to describe the difference in color but there is one and I could tell if I were in front of it.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. He's willing to come down quite a bit on price. What do you think the top dollar I should pay is? I saw a museum-quality one go for the mid 5000 USD this year, also a couple of others in good shape low 4000 USD.

Looks like silver plate to me. The price seems a bit high for the condition.
Looks like silver plate to me. The price seems a bit high for the condition.
More than a bit high IMO

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
More than a bit high IMO
Looks Silverplate from here (maybe a USN version?) way overpriced, for that kind of money it should be mint.

I wouldn’t pay more that €4000 - 3500 for a horn like this, certainly not from a private seller and without a fresh overhaul with top pads

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
A very optimistic price. A few years ago I had trouble selling a mint 1940 10m for $1700. I understand. I wouldn’t pay that for a Conn either.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Looks Silverplate from here (maybe a USN version?) way overpriced, for that kind of money it should be mint.

I wouldn’t pay more that €4000 - 3500 for a horn like this, certainly not from a private seller and without a fresh overhaul with top pads
I'd agree with up to $4500 to start negotiations, maybe a little higher. But I definitely wouldn't do this sight unseen. If it is truly original silver in nice condition, I'd expect dealers to be asking over 5 grand.

The only thing that concerned me is the peeling around the serial number. What's up with that?

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
That one bell key tone hole looks seriously messed up from the picture. Might be the angle, but I don't see the roll...and potentially looks damaged. The engraving looks strangely cut through the silver/nickel...weren't they plated over the engraving? Is it possible this one was plated and then re-engraved? Finish looks super glossy...I feel like if the silver was original it should have more of that satin/textured look to it...but I haven't seen an original silver 30M in person so I really don't know.

I bet Brian at GetASax would have some good insight; I think he's one of the few people who might have seen a few of these before.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey folks, I'm currently hunting for a 30m or 10m and I've found one on eBay I may go pick up in Italy, however I'm not sure about the finish. He has it listed under "nickel-plated". I can't recall seeing a horn that wasn't a New Wonder in Nickel plate. Could this be after-market or is it simply worn silver? Cheers.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/202685681970
This seller also has a Buescher 400 (TH&C B11) tenor listed, which at one point is described as a Selmer SBA alto. It may be an honest typo from reusing a previous listing, but at the least it shows he isn't careful. No photo of the Buescher neck which is also bothersome.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buescher-T...681534?hash=item2f31020f7e:g:~90AAOSwTiVcJ64m

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments. I think it may be re-engraved as well? Anything I should pay particular attention to?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,880 Posts
No I don’t think it was re-engraved ( it would have been hell of a job if it were) but this , in my opinion, is an originally, silverplated, and engraved at the time when it was made.
Some bad solder work here and there.

Again, I’ve seen much better examples. I played one by a German SOTW member which looked like it was almost new.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I see some solder around the thumb hook, but where else are you seeing "bad solder work?" My eyes aren't professionally-trained in this, so I'm asking purely for educational reasons. Thanks!

EDIT: Also saw the keyguard, pretty sloppy job.

No I don’t think it was re-engraved ( it would have been hell of a job if it were) but this , in my opinion, is an originally, silverplated, and engraved at the time when it was made.
Some bad solder work here and there.

Again, I’ve seen much better examples. I played one by a German SOTW member which looked like it was almost new.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Most (all?) of the silver plated saxophones of that era I've looked at closely were plated after engraving. This one appears to have been engraved after plating, like the way lacquered Conns of the era were (I believe) done.

It's possible it was re-engraved at some point, but I'm not sure why - I think re-engraving is something fairly recent, done typically to restore the appearance of an over-buffed relacquer job. When I've seen horns offered for sale with re-engraving, re-plating (or maybe adding plating to an originally lacquered and over-buffed horn) - usually at top dollar - I think they are always engraved first then plated/re-plated. what I'm trying to get at here is that the plating and the wear on it (which the more I look at it I think it's silver not Ni) look very consistent with the age of the horn, and re-engraving horns seems to be a recent development, but the plating does NOT look recently added, it looks old.

So I think it's likely (from looking at photos only, and in my extremely amateur opinion) that it was originally engraved over the plating as a variant of the usual process. Maybe it was originally supposed to be plain with minimal engraving and they changed their mind at the factory? Or maybe there was a mistake and it went to the plating tub before engraving, then when it came out they said "oops, well, just engrave it now and no one will notice till several years along when the brass starts to tarnish in the engraving, and by that time we won't care anyway."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts