Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for y'all to chew on.... Has anyone ever had their skin react with nickel, whether on keys or any nickel surfaces after the lacquer wears off? I have a buddy who is a goldsmith that has to deal with that sort of thing in karat gold. Most white gold in the old days was produced by adding nickle as the primary alloy to the 24K yellow gold. Unfortunately, this can produce a painful and harmful dermal reaction (red, broken skin) for those with a nickel allergy. The jewelry industry reacted by using Palladium as a whitening alloy, though the results were not as bright white.

He asked and I was truly stumped, so have at it!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,328 Posts
Boy, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that....:)

[Sorry, couldn't resist.]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,614 Posts
I have an un-lacquered, silver color nickel sax, and fortunately it hasn't given me any problem.

Notes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Search WebMD.com for "nickel allergy".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
I guess you could just have it re-lacquered.

·
32,935 Posts
... or wear Nitrile (avoid potential latex allergies) gloves.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know that this is a more common problem for flute players. That is why they have the gold lip plates.

·
32,935 Posts
I know that this is a more common problem for flute players. That is why they have the gold lip plates.
Doubt it. Most of the better flutes are at least silver - not nickel. Gold lip plates on a nickel silver flute is like putting lip stick on a vice presidential candidate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts