Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom drove up from SF and we had a blast trying out each other equipment. I got convinced (once again) that I'll need an R13 to "do it for me" . I tried a Selmer Arty and not quite as good as the Buffet R 13. He has an interesting Leblanc clarinet but no model info on the Barrel or Bell. Sounded very good though.
Biggest surprise is that I discovered Borbeck mouthpieces. . I played his and immediately sounded more symphonic , fatter core in my tone than my Vandoran M 15 13. Anyway, great guy and we had fun comparing what we are working on musically for the near future. Guess its my turn to hit SF next time. My only regret was my buddy who has a nice pre R 13 couldn't make it and I wanted to compare the pre with the R. Next time. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,594 Posts
Borbecks are sweet. (I bought one from Trice.) I tried one back in the '70s (recommended by a serious classical player) and loved it, but couldn't afford it then. They seem to be sleepers...

·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered one from Music 123 and then when I talked to Robert he said that the ones not from him are student models. So I cancelled my 123 order and sent him a check. I heard such a difference in my tone when I played it and it played easier than my M 15 13. I thought that I could van V 12 4s on the Borbeck easily. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
That was a great time, Keith. Let's do it again soon. Let me know when the Borbeck arrives. I would like to check it out!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,016 Posts
What's the ballpark of a Borbeck piece? Always interested in seeing if there is something better out there, if it isn't a budget buster.

·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carl, 200 dollars from Las Vegas. Robert Borbeck has a webpage up for info. He said it'd take about 2 weeks to make and ship. K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts