Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
I would never have the heart to play such a gorgeous and rare instrument. I would just take it out once a day (or more) just to admire it.

It really is a museum piece.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
he just posted those pics so the rest of us could suffer with him.....from want.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don't know.... he can't charge THAT much for it.
It obviously needs a new neck cork.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
I'm missing the value-add. It's just another SBA with extra engraving in less-than-minty condition that was owned by a couple of prominent businessmen. It does look like it was played a good bit, so it's probably not a bad horn, but who can say without playing it....

As stated above, some people will find the extra engraving garish. Certainly any modern horn could have engraving like that by sending it off to Jason DuMars or Sherri Huntley -it's not like there aren't modern engravers who are just as good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would think that Ralph qualifies as a little more than a prominent business man.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
I considered that before I posted, actually.

I guess I was comparing that to say a horn that was played by someone like Cannonball Adderley or Phil Woods, whose playing is legendary, as opposed to someone known their contribution to the manufacture of saxophone items. Also, this horn was merely owned (though perhaps also played) by Mr. Morgan; he did not design it (according to the listing), so again, we don't know of anything special about this horn other than it was one Mr. Morgan happened to own, and before him Mr. Artley, who is (I'm assuming) more known for his line of flutes.

It could indeed be a great horn.

As a fellow Buescher afficionado, I was surprised that you were so moved by a mere Selmer, though. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're right about me living in Buescherland. If my teacher could hear himself on my NA alto, he'd trash his Ref 54 on the spot because he sounds that much better on the NA.

It was actually Brian Powell in another thread that led me to believe this could be gem:

"This was Ralph's personal alto. He lovingly played it for years and years. I have played this horn on a number of occasions and absolutely love it, it's a killer player, and very unique. Ralph cherished this horn dearly, had a number of offers to buy it from him, but would never part with it. And not just from a historical perspective or his personal affinity for its lineage (Mr. Artley was his predecessor at Selmer), it's that good a player!"

I'd call Dave but I'm afraid that if it isn't in the stratosphere I'd be goofy enough to buy it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
saintsday said:
I'd call Dave but I'm afraid that if it isn't in the stratosphere I'd be goofy enough to buy it.

This is a relic! It belongs in a museum.:D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
For the record, when I visited junkdude last week I played the horn.

It needed some pad work done and it hadn't been touched in awhile but the horn was very nice. The engraving was gorgeous and it looked great. How did it play? About as nice as any average vintage selmer I've played. Of course, whoever is buying it won't be buying it to play it though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts