Sax on the Web Forum banner

Nexus Saxophones - Chad Lefkowitz-Brown and Jack Finucane of BSS

67K views 257 replies 62 participants last post by  saxmsy 
#1 ·

Chad-LB has been playing on a new sax for some time, and I asked him about it over a month ago. He said he would have more details on it soon and he was testing it out. Well - today was the announcement! Not much for details yet but they are definitely coming soon. There is one picture of it, but the recent videos of Chad feature it! Check this one out:

#45 ·
Something from today:

I follow CLB for the same reason as everybody else ("dem lessons, doe"), and I notice everybody who can play's equipment when I see it (puzzling over every single piece of potentially intriguing equipment is automatic). I think he used to have one with the high F# covered with a brass patch/disc. That would suggest this may be one of the newer models or prototypes.

Sounds nice, to me, with nice deep, fat, round lows and core. Can diggit.

#63 ·
Forgot to post this earlier, but there is officially a Hard Rubber version of the Nexus mouthpiece, here is Chad-LB playing some great stuff:

Chad also did a blind test side by side of the HR and the 3d Printed, but didn't post the results yet. Here's that video:

#64 ·
If your really interested in this Saxophone brand supposedly they will be offering not only a Tenor but an Alto, Reeds based on the legendary La Voz reeds before they were acquired by D'Addario, two different mouthpieces (hard rubber ebonite and the white MP shown it is not plastic but something else) and they are shooting for release this fall. The finish for the sax will be unlacquered at around $3500 (we don't know whether there will be engraving or not) and the two tone will be the more expensive offering. Jack has really opened up about the what they were going for in the design process and He wanted to make a Pro Sax that is as light as possible like many of our beloved vintage horns. So that means any unnecessary weight was removed or literally cut off the prototype like the tilting table on the left hand pinky cluster. the one thing they are still waffling on is the high F# key and whether or not to remove it or leave it. I would say remove it but that's just me. Well that's what I've gathered so far and I can't wait for the alto reeds.

#66 ·
Thanks for the update!

Back to your post you said the white piece wasn't plastic. It's certainly 3d printed, as Chad and Jack stated, figured it's some sort of synthetic material used in 3d printing- albeit maybe a unique one - but I would assume still a type plastic, since that's the common medium.

#73 ·
Another small update after the Boston Sax shop Live Mondays @5PM on Instagram. Jack let us in on a little more of what they did to insure this is the lightest Saxophone possible they have chosen to incorporate in anodized aluminum in place of steel (don't worry the springs are still steel) specifically the bracing joints for the bow and the neck tenon screw. Jack jokingly referred to the screw as a "low mass screw". I've got to hand is to them they are offering something rather unique and not just another Selmer/Yamaha/Yanagisawa copy with extra bracing.

#78 ·
Another small update after the Boston Sax shop Live Mondays @5PM on Instagram. Jack let us in on a little more of what they did to insure this is the lightest Saxophone possible they have chosen to incorporate in anodized aluminum in place of steel (don't worry the springs are still steel) specifically the bracing joints for the bow and the neck tenon screw.
I love a good galvanic couple.

Were the original joints actually steel?

If you really want to lighten a sax, why not drill out the key cups?

Another extreme weight loss action: Replace long rods with either carbon fiber or Ti tubing. Look to the bicycling industry of the last few decades for how to shave weight - Ti screws.

On the other hand, don't use a metal mouthpiece. That's as much a weight-saving swap as everything else combined.

Reactions: hornstar and EZ
#74 ·
The heavier saxes to me have a "ringy" sound (not good, to me), but that may just be those models. I have a Buescher Aristocrat from the 1930's that was factory relacquered in the 70's, and it completely changed the sound. The core and low notes were not as good and it just sounds different. It felt lighter. In this case, lighter was not good. A Mark VI is not the lightest horn, but it seems about right, and feels very connected. I think you are onto something...but there are of course other variables.

#96 ·
Well despite all the plans of release last year, looks like Jack and Chad have things figured out. Should be launched tomorrow:

The launch includes the horns, mouthpieces, ligatures, and reeds all branded Nexus. (FWIW the Nexus Reeds are supposed to be like the vintage LaVoz reeds with a shorter cut)

#98 ·
Chad is a really nice guy as is Jack, but they’ve got this Nexus thing all wrong. People don’t want a light saxophone that plays amazingly well. They want a tank that strains the neck and shoulder muscles like most of the other Taiwanese and Chinese horns out there. When I played the Nexus, it was just far too comfortable and amazing sounding, which is just not desirable. I want to feel like I’m playing a bari when I play tenor, and I definitely don’t want incredible harmonic complexity and an astonishing dynamic range. Just say’n 🤪

#107 ·
Nexus is out, and it does sound great in Chad's hands.
Call me old fashion, but I really don't get this obsession with bare brass, vintage patina finish. Why ??
Thanks for the reminder.

Website for those interested; NEXUS SAXOPHONES

EDIT: Mistake on the old website, which is no longer up. it was nexussax.com. Added the proper website.

#111 ·
I’m all for reducing the weight but not having a high F sharp key? I would miss that. And changing the angle of the neck seems the opposite way. Wouldn’t you want more of an angle so the horn sits Higher against your body? That would put your arms in a more natural position.

#115 ·
I don't understand people that need the high F# key. I went through college with a Couf Superba I tenor and alto that had high F# keys and I never used them once. Then I got a Selmer SBA with no F# and never felt I was lacking in the least, I play high F#s all over the place. I also have a Selmer Reference Alto with F# key that I never use.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.