Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Chad-LB has been playing on a new sax for some time, and I asked him about it over a month ago. He said he would have more details on it soon and he was testing it out. Well - today was the announcement! Not much for details yet but they are definitely coming soon. There is one picture of it, but the recent videos of Chad feature it! Check this one out:

·
Registered
70 Posts
A few hours ago I saw a live stream from Chad about the nexes saxophones, tried to open the link but he took it down already... So we will see it soon I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,883 Posts

Chad-LB has been playing on a new sax for some time, and I asked him about it over a month ago. He said he would have more details on it soon and he was testing it out. Well - today was the announcement! Not much for details yet but they are definitely coming soon. There is one picture of it, but the recent videos of Chad feature it! Check this one out:

Sure is a lot of info available on that website lol

·
TOTM administrator
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few hours ago I saw a live stream from Chad about the nexes saxophones, tried to open the link but he took it down already... So we will see it soon I think.
I actually started to watch it, but they had some technical trouble between youtube and Instagram, and switched to only instagram, which I don't use.
Sure is a lot of info available on that website lol
Oh yes, clearly the blank space is there for everyone to use their imagination ;)

Hopefully more soon, looks like it may come with a BSS heritage neck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I actuallystarted to watch it, but they had some technical trouble between youtube and Instagram, and switched to only instagram, which I don't use.
And, what kind of info did they put out there? The site is a little short on info...

·
TOTM administrator
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And, what kind of info did they put out there? The site is a little short on info...
My apologies, I was lacking detail. They didn't announce any details on the youtube video due to the technical issues, so I missed it as well. I tried to find the Instagram Live video with the details, but came up empty.

·
TOTM administrator
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
TOTM administrator
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for the intonation, I didn't notice much - chad being the beast of a player he is, I'm sure it's stylistic. Here's another:

Tracked down a bit more info:
Chad is playing a prototype.
Chad and Jack are starting the company together
Tenors will be coming first, followed by Altos.

Not much else yet, but Chad was playing on an SBA and MarkVI before, so hopefully it's up to his standard.

I'll update as I found out more

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks! We'll see it in a bit I think. Sounds like an easy blowing tenor with lots of balls... But that might be Chads sound.

·
TOTM administrator
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thought he was playing a Lupifaro before, which is likely a Chinese sourced hardware finished in Italy?
He was a Lupifaro/Navarro artist - back in 2015. I asked him earlier this year, it was his Selmer horns he was playing again, I believe it was the MkVI

·
TOTM administrator
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,308 Posts
A few years back I hung with Chad at John Leadbetter's shop and we traded horns for a bit (my 82z for his Lupifaro). The Lupifaro was a really great horn indeed. I liked my Z better, but the Lupifaro was very nice. The owner of the company was there as well, he was trying to get Leadbetter to stock his horns... and John wouldn't do it because they were too expensive. Made in Italy from Taiwanese brass, I think, and very good, but not for the prices he was asking. I think that's why they never took off.

Chad, of course, sounded exactly the same on my Z as he did on his Lupifaro. He'd sound the same on a Bundy, probably. I'm sure these Nexus horns are solid and comfortable to play, if nothing else.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
As for the intonation, I didn't notice much - chad being the beast of a player he is, I'm sure it's stylistic. Here's another:
he certainly plays great; needs to get past some of the Sonny Rollins-isms (Sonny has those patented), but when he just plays he is superb.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I know the previous designer of the Lupifaro saxophones, Luca Cardinali, left the company in 2019 (he has his own company now) but I’m pretty sure Lupifaro still exists as a company - I exchanged emails with Max Pizio of Lupifaro regarding their Evo reeds last month.

Sax Tenor Platinum Vintage - LUPIFARO
Luca always did have his own company Cardinali Saxophone shop - before, during and after. His own line might not be too dissimilar except that it looks like he’s making his products with a very small team or solo. He’s evidently a good tech and used to work at Borgani. He even has his own brand of reeds. Like Lupifaro, Robertos etc they are made at Rigotti.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts