Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone

New here so thought i'd introduce myself, The Names Jon and i love Saxophone :)

I got one as a present about 2 years ago but never played it until recently, I was content just looking at it in the corner (I thought laerning it was beyond reach). A few weeks ago I decided to learn, so i got a few play along books and I tried and failed misrebly to make a sound that could even be mistaken for music, but then i found this forum. Here and youtube have been my main teachers with technique and i've been using the play along books to learn scales and fingering's etc etc...

I'm playing on an A. Carmicheal Evolution (Chinese made) I think its modeled after the Selmer AS700 but don't qoute me on that :) .And i have a yamaha 4c mouthpiece with vandoran jazz 2.5 reeds(recomended by a music shop near me)

My main reason for starting the thread is pretty much to say "Hi" but another reason is I have put up a youtube video of me playing and since you guys have helped with my learning process i'd love an opinion on my playing

If anyone could take the time to have a listen and comment it would be great :) , and keep in mind -self taught and only playing 4 weeks :)

thanks guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any reply??? - good or bad or very bad is welcome, I've never played for anyone and would really like an impartial view of my playing so far - any and all opinions welcome - i'm here to learn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,439 Posts
JonSax: I listened. What is there to say except welcome to SOTW - and get a teacher. We ALL sounded like that when we first started. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
588 Posts
Tone is very good for 4 weeks. Time is fair. (You might want to practice with a metronome.) There is no substitute for personal instruction.

I should point out that there is a new member introduction thread somewhere on here.
However, posts there don't generally get much in the way of replies and are probably not usually seen by the most prolific posters here.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hi Jon, don't let the lack of response put you off, many of the "elite" on here view newbie players with contempt, and regard them as a lower form of life, even lower than whale ****! no you seem very good for such a short length of time playing, nice tone and without any squeaks etc, well done and keep going at it.....theres another member on here Tim Price, check his stuff out it really is very good and he does very good tutorials and on-line lessons via skipe, worth a look.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
I wouldn't go that far; I actually find that, generally speaking, this is one of the frendlier musicians Forums around... however I do agree that new posters have a tendency to get glossed over if their subject isn't something of particular interest to a more advanced player. And indeed, as we have all been there, they should know better than that....

But...this is the Beginner's section so your thread is completely appropriate.

I would echo the above...I give you kudos for picking it up and am glad you are enjoying it. I do think it is a good idea,particularly at this stage, to get some one-on-one lessons from a live human being. A lot of habits can develop early on which can be hard to correct later on...and while the world of internet can provide certain things, what it cannot provide is direct feedback from a person in the room with you while you play (not even skype-ish lessons can do that).

Invest in at least a half-dozen lessons with a teacher, once a week; and try to practice every day in between (one day off is OK). It will be $ well-spent. If you decide not to continue after 5 or 6 lessons, then at least (likely) the teacher will have given you a good foundation in basics such as embouchure, posture, sound producing, ad perhaps the rudiments of musical notation (i.e. reading), etc.

If you have no idea where to find a teacher, check Craigslist or also any local music shops or colleges with a music dept.

Welcome and best of luck to you !!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
There's still a ghost in the machine. Harri has been trying to iron out tech problems since the Forum was upgraded a few days ago.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
You sound a lot better than I did after my first four weeks!

Can I suggest a softer reed? It's hard to tell, but it sounds like you might be forcing the sound out a bit. A softer reed may make it a bit easier to get the notes out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts