Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am a newbie here. I have played an alto sax about 25 years ago in school and it just wasnt for me at the time so I switched to guitar. I have played guitar for 25 years, at a professional level for about 18 years.

I have had a desire to buy a tenor sax and relearn to play sax. my goal is to be able to play some pop rock tunes that have sax parts so I can use it in gigs for a few tunes. not looking to be a pro in a week. but something to work at and get about 6 or 7 tunes that I can master to use in a band I play in.

I am thinking about tunes like:

You belong to the City - Glen Frey
Bad to the bone - George Thorogood
Harden my Heart - Quarterflash
Take me home tonight - Eddie money
California Dreamin (Beach boys version)
Dogs of war - pink floyd

I am thinking a tenor sax would be the best choice for these tunes.....? am I correct? or not?

If you think I am dreaming and these tunes are too tuff, please tell me. One problem may be that I am so used to just figuring any song out on guitar, that I can learn anything very easily, and I have to remember I have NO skills as a sax player, so its all new ground. but I truly think I can do it and learn.

anyhow, I am looking for ANY advice you can give. I need to buy a sax, and get some instruction. I live in a rural area and nobody gives lessons, so I am thinking maybe web based lessons or DVDs would work???

I am thinking of spending up to $1000 for a good used sax. I would like to find a good used one that I can jump right in playing and not have to have fixed up. the only brands I am familiar with are yamaha and selmer. I would appreciate any advice on what to buy and where to buy one (or more importantly, where NOT to buy one). what do I look for? any potential issues? problems? good mouth pieces? reeds? cleaning supplies?

am I way out of reason here? or are my ideas and goals reasonable??

ANY info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Brands such as Selmer (Paris, not USA), Yamaha and Yanagisawa (Japan) are well-known and make great instruments. Buying one used sounds like a great idea. But here are some less-expensive non-Japanese Asian horns that are somewhat popular on SOTW:

Lots of people rave about the Barone saxophones (good quality Taiwanese instrument made for a New York seller)
http://www.philbarone.com/

Also check out Bauhaus Walstein (good quality Chinese instrument made for a UK seller)
http://www.russbecker.com/id21.html
http://justsaxes.com/cgi/newSaxophones-bauhaus-walstein-pricing.php
http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/yanagisawa_tenor_saxophone_selmer_tenor_saxophone.html

Here's a site for some used saxes. JayeSF is a member here, and he is responsible for these instruments: http://www.2ndending.com/saxes.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Your goals are reasonable. Find a sax player to help you pick your axe. Practice like crazy. Adjust your goals to fit. I play guitar and picked up the sax after a similar length of time. These days, sax is all I do live anymore. It took a couple of years before I could get hired regularly. It's been about 3 or 4 years now.... Still growing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please let us know your decision when it is made.
well, as it sits now, I found a Yamaha YTS 23 in a local music store for $400 used. I am hoping to go check it out this weekend. I have known the music store owners pretty well for some time now as they are customers of mine as well. They are very good people and I know they arent trying to swindle me. they told me on the phone that its got some cosmetic issues such as scratches, dings here and there, case has some scuffs, but they say its fully functional. they do rentals and repairs there and he has went through the horn and checked it out. She said she can have her husband take it apart and give it a "bath" for $45 if I want it cleaned up. If I buy it, I will probably do that. there is just a cleanliness factor involved with horns, ya know...... someone else has been using it. and I will get a new mouthpiece. I will report back when I check it out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
587 Posts
Give careful consideration to your choice of mouthpiece and try before you buy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I would think about getting a new Brilhart Ebolin 3 and stop there for a year, trying various reeds in the 2 to 2.5 range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am looking at a nice used YTS 23 now. we will see what comes of that.

how about instruction???? any recommendations on a DVD lesson? online lesson?

·
5,431 Posts
I called the local high school and asked the music teacher for a recommendation for a tutor. Worked great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in a rural area, and our high school doesnt have that. thats why I want to go DVD or online for lessons. thanks for the input though. :)

·
5,431 Posts
Nearest junior college?

There are online tutors listed on Saxontheweb, check them out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts