Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been lurking on this forum for some time (and btw this is a great forum :D), and most of the questions I had I found answers to. But I do have a very urgent question that I cant seem to find anywhere. A couple days ago, I bought a new box of vandoren java reeds, and yesterday I soaked them and tried them. due to my stupidity and the fact that my only reed case can only hold two reeds (its already full), I left the reeds in the little plastic things that they come in in the box. today I took them out again, and most of the reed's tips were warped and wavy. I'm leaving to band camp very soon and I can't buy any new reeds. Is there any way to fix this? thanks in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Install the reed on your mouthpiece, ligature and all. Put the palm of one of your hands over the back of the mouthpiece, now suck on the mouthpiece. The vacuum effect sometimes helps to straighten em out, otherwise just play on em and you'll be fine...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,019 Posts
Play them and it will go away.

In college I would hang the sax, by the neckstrap, in the locker between practice sessions - ie when I was in class. The reed was always a nice wavy sine wave when I came back. I just took it into a practice room and continued playing. It was not anything to be concerned with, it just happens. Go ahead and play them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
yeah just wet them. What I would do is just run them under some runnign water for a second or two. Then put it in my mouth. It doesn't dry out your mouth like putting a dry reed does.

But warping reeds really does bother me. Sometimes after I work on them they warp. And when I put them in my mouth they are too dry and jsut split. Not cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts