1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
it all sounds very nice and rather " upbeat" given the circumstances. It feels like you were going to visit many different well known places quoting several things. I hope the hurricane won't do too much damage in NYC. Hang in there!

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Re: recording, I personally like the relative roughness of it. You're moving away from the mic and back at times, and there's a lot of room sound compared to the closed miked bass but that's okay. If you have an outboard compressor / limiter, or if you know how to setup a plugin to emulate this, it would smooth it out.

Great playing and nice bass tone - which is IMO hard to get.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the feedback! Yeah - I'm thinking I like the sound of it when I'm just a little bit closer. It's a beautiful room, and I did a bit to separate the bass and saxophone, but not so much. I do rock back and forth a lot, and that it shows up in the recording does not bother me generally, but there are a few times where I shift drastically enough that saxophone suddenly sounds quite distant. Perhaps if I were a little closer this wouldn't be as much of an issue?

Eventually when we record all the original material and decide what to release, there will have to be some work done - I think the challenge will be to preserve the sound of that very live and unique room, in this very odd and unique storm, while also making it professional and consistent.

Do you like where the bass mic is placed? I personally am partial to string sounds - just as I like breath sounds and key clanks, so I have the mic somewhat close (but not extremely), and a good bit above the bridge. Any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts