Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I am new to this forum. Great information here. I am a rookie player but would very much like to use a horn I can keep for a long time.

I went to music store and they have the yamaha for around 1200. I have a friend whos father is selling a keilwerth (?) sx90. It is in exc. shape. He said it is a pro horn and would sell it to me for 1200.

Which is the better choice? Or is there another avenue I should go?

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
You're best choice might possibly be to look up a teacherin your area and ask your friend's father to letyou take the SX 90 to your new teacher for a play-test. Both are good horns, forget the whole beginner horn/pro horn thing. You might sound different on one than you do on the other, but you won't sound better on one than you do on the other.
Go for a well set up, well adjusted horn.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I did that today (brought sx90 to shop)..since I really dont know what Im looking for etc..

Anyway, the tech said the sx90 is in exc shape. Needs a few pads replaced, but otherwise 100%..

so, what should I go with? YAS23 or Keilworth sx90) same price (give or take 100.00)

thanks all

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great! I will pick up the sx90 then. The tech even mentioned that it was more of a high end horn.

Hopefully I can get it for even alittle less.

Thx

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
You're already getting a decent buy. Don't poison the deal with zealous dickering.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I wouldnt do that..its my best friends father who owns it and I think he may take another 100.00 off without asking ....since its me (known him since I was 6)...

Will post some pics if I get a chance this weekend//...thanks guys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
G'luck with the horn. It'll last you a lifetime of playing - unless you hang around SotW for too long and start getting Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) and do something stoooooopid like sell the horn before you get to know it.

Remember your friend's father at Christmas time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts